OT: Windows questions

On a Win7 or Win10 machine today:

1) How do I stop it rearranging icons on the Desktop? It seems to want to put them all into a rectangular grid, where do I turn that off?

2) I want to see mounted devices (disks, memory sticks) as icons on the desktop. How do I turn that on?

3) The printer stopped and we thought it had finished. Eventually I saw where it said "drum alert" or somesuch on the panel, which seemed to mean I had to open it up and stir the ink powder in the cartridges - there being an almost inaccessible slider for the purpose. So we did that and it worked. But what I couldn't find was any way of showing the print queue to see the printer status was so I could delete some jobs etc. There appeared to be nothing in the start menu.

4) Outlook mail: on any mail client I've used (Eudora, mostly), you can configure the frequency with which it queries the host for mail (so, every 10 mins or 17 mins etc). I couldn't see a way to do that in the config stuff for accounts, is it elsewhere? Or do you have to do it manually?

5) Outlook mail: the person who normally picks up the mail is off sick, so I'm looking to configuring my mail client at home to pick that mail up. I could see how to configure Outlook to "leave mail on server for some days" as you can in Eudora. The problem is the password. How can I see what that is in plaintext?
Reply to
Tim Streater

Same as (or at least similar to) previous versions, right click desktop, view, untick auto-arrange and align-to-grid.

If you want specific devices, drag shortcuts to the desktop

Right click start menu control panel, devices and printers

Do you mean the "Mail" App, Outlook, Outlook Express (which you shouldn't have on 10) or something else?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Install Linux

Install Linux

Install Linux

Install thunderbird.Perferably on Linux

You probably cant.

Even on Linux ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Potentially wireshark, depending on encryption/authentication settings.

Reply to
Andy Burns

OK.

No means of having them appear when plugged in then, and vanish when ejected? I'm used to that and it's very handy.

OK.

AFAIK it's Outlook.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Text or phone the mail person and ask them what it is?

A program called SIW

will reveal OE passwords among other things on individual machines. Whether it works over networks I've never even tried, but can see plenty of reasons why it wouldn't.

michael adams

michael adams

Not sure I'd remember if/how to configure what you want even on older Windows.

Which version?

Poke around under File, Account Settings, More Settings ... or maybe File, Options, Advanced, Send/Receive it's in there somewhere, I don't have outlook on any of my own PCs.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've used this for years without problems. Aside from checking that it worked on Win 10 I never read the link. This latest version seems to do a lot more. Dunno.

Reply to
michael adams

Oops! Unfortunately reading comments on 3rd party dowload sites it seems this latest version is no longer available free.

Which is only fair really; as parasites such as myself never Paypal'd him a penny for earlier versions.

Text or phone ?

michael adams

michael adams

I'll check when I'm next over there (next week now, I should think) - thanks.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No

Install Seamonkey. It remembers all the passwords IME. On Windows or Linux.

Reply to
Capitol

Yeah, you're probably right. Problem will be if they've forgotten it.

Thanks,

Reply to
Tim Streater

But you can on Windows:

John Rumm

See my other post, but failing that, change the settings to pass the password in plain text, then use wireshark to capture the login details.

Reply to
John Rumm

File->Account Settings button Double click POP account Click "More settings" button

It should be on one of the tabs there.

Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect that doesn't work if it is an online email account such as Office 365.

Nor will it work if the Outlook mail being talked about is actually just an online product.

If that is the case, and the person uses a browser for access, then possibly the browser or some other auto-fill mechanism could help.

Reply to
polygonum

Yeah, saw that ta, already copied to my old but trusty memory stick.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not easily on the desktop but that is what happens in the Computer page in explorer.

Part of Office ?

Reply to
Slomo