OT: Who do you think you are?

Almost certainly not! It's a passingly interesting thing to do on cold winter evenings, when you're retired and there's nothing on the telly. It does become a bit addictive: all those little boxes on a tree diagram that need filling, rather like stamp collecting, and there's a small feeling of success when you've run down the birth record or whatever of a distant relative, but no one else will care.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yup. The only one who cares, apart from my wife, is a friend in Vancouver, who started her tree at about the same time as I did mine.

But yes, the feeling when you eventually find a missing link is great.

Reply to
Davey

Can you quote some authoritative source for this bold assertion?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You surprise me, NP. I personally am descended from King Arthur, as are many others with unusually high levels of common sense. I suggest you double check.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

White northern europeans did not come out of Africa. That theory is merely Marxist hogwash and nothing more.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

...Unless of course it turns out to be a genuine Missing Link! (Readers under 50 will probably have no idea what this means, probably).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

As I've said upthread, I'm Scotch on my father's side. My great grandfather was co-founder of the Airdrie firm of Gibb and Hogg, at one time reputed to be the largest engineering firm in Scotland. They made heavy equipment for the local coal mining and iron and steel industries, including pumps, winding engines and small shunting engines, 'pugs' (1). There's an example of one of these in the Summerlee heritage museum.

images 6,7,8 and

  1. The firm started in 1866 and closed in 1911. A street in Airdrie is named after him, Hogg Street, that ran along the southern boundary of the works site.

While researching the history of that company as a spin-off from my family history, I acquired some books on the history of the town of Airdrie, written in the first part of the last century by local authors of impeccable pedigree. In these books the local people were frequently referred to as Scotch (2,3,4).

And why do you think it's called Scotch whisky, Scotch for short? It's because it's whisky made by the Scotch, to distinguish it from whisky made by the Irish. The idea that Scotch only refers to that excellent beverage, and not to the people who created it, is a modern affectation.

  1. 'Gibb and Hogg Locomotives', Russell Wear, The Industrial Locomotive No. 72, Vol.7 No.3, 1994, pp 69 - 73 and 79.
  2. 'Airdrie, A Historical Sketch', James Knox, published by Baird and Hamilton Ltd., 1921.
  3. 'The Triumph of Thrift; the Story of the Savings Bank of Airdrie', James Knox, published by Baird and Hamilton, 1927.
  4. 'Work and Prayer', William Hamilton, published by Alex Pettigrew, 1937.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

[refs snipped]

OK, thanks for that. I will just have a butcher's in Fowlers to see what their take is on it. I'm sure there'll be a note in there somewhere on it, I've just been drinking too much London dry gin & tonic and can't be arsed to move right now. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Chris Hogg

In message , Chris Hogg writes

Agreed, although I was thinking more of physical 'stuff' from photos to mementos. Brother and self have stuff from parents, grand parents and even great grandparents, all of whom we knew and there is therefore a connection. We remember this stuff from our childhood. My son, though, was a late arrival, and has only known one grandparent (my mother). Once my generation has gone, little if any of the accumulated stuff is going to be of any interest or relevance, and will probably become landfill, except perhaps photos, I suppose.

Reply to
News

You are patently descended from both.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, Piltdown Man! I remember him well.

Reply to
Davey

I once worked in a pub called the Missing Link.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I had a bicycle chain with a missing link

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman has the intellectual capacity of the Missing Link.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I know there is an equation for this but, put simply, given a generous number of 20 years for a generation, taken over the last 500 years, you are the product of 33,554,432 people.

So, pick the 'well to do' from that lot.

The inverse could also be true. That, in 500 years, you are propagated out to the same number.

Makes it all a bit pointless as to 'who' you are, above a particular number of years.

Reply to
RayL12

Nice bit of family history, Chris.

Reply to