OT: Whiteboard Marker Solvent

Page 2 of 2
John Laird wrote:

whiteboard markers are not dry wipe pens necessarily. Or at least lots of people buy permanent pens by mistake :-)

Hi. Alcohol has much the same properties as isopropyl alcohol. Checmists dont like selling IPA cos of licensing issues. In any chemist, eg Superdrug etc, you'll find bottles of alcohol, non food grade.
Regards, NT
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) writes:

Really? Are you sure? This sounds like nonsense to me.

What licensing issues?

--
geoff

writes

I have just tried dipping the ends of two makes of dry-wipe pens (Berol and Magiboard) in IPA. It was not a solvent for the ink in either case.
CRB
snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com (CRB) writes:

It wouldn't be. MEK to the oldies (methyl-ethyl ketone) butan-2-one for the youngsters is the solvent used in dry wipe pens. Acetone will almost certainly dissolve the ink (nick the SWMBO's nail varnish remover) but is not used because it is so volatile that the pens would dry out and become useless quickly. Have I just given the pen manufacturers a way to quadruple their sales?
http://www.acco.co.uk /
Appears to be the owner of NOBO who provide visual aids equipment, and unless things have changed, they sell a whiteboard rejuvenator spray which does exactly what it says on the tin.
John Schmitt
-- If you have nothing to say, or rather, something extremely stupid and obvious, say it, but in a 'plonking' tone of voice - i.e. roundly, but hollowly and dogmatically. - Stephen Potter
Hi John Schmitt In you wrote:

They are indeed the owners of the NOBO brand, along with Rexel, Dertwent, Kingston and a few other brands. Acco themselves are owned by Fortune Brands, Inc. of Chicago.
Isn't globalisation great.....
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /
John Schmitt wrote:

Now MEK is readily available as PVC pipe cleaner - the solvent of solvent cement without the goop. You'll find it at real plumbers' merchants.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
: Hi, : : Has anyone discovered what the solvent is for whiteboard markers. : (My children find it impossible to remember to put the lids back on.) : Try here http://www.multichem.co.uk/Latest/Stage/Quality/MSDS/MSDSWB500.3.htm
ab