OT: Whiteboard Marker Solvent

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
Has anyone discovered what the solvent is for whiteboard markers. (My children find it impossible to remember to put the lids back on.)
TIA, Colin
Colin wrote:

Isopropanol.
--
Grunff

Hmm .. depends. The 'dry' type (that smell like pear drops) are more likely to use ethyl acetate or similar judging by the smell ... isopropyl alcohol may very well work, but then they may lose the 'dry wipe' attribute.

Easy to get hold of?
Colin

Trivially. But I haven't bought any for yonks. Boots got it for me last time.
I expect some jobs-worth will say you can't have it because of "terrorism".
On 1 Oct 2003 09:00:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Long before 11/9 you would get odd looks from many a pharmacist when trying to buy IPA. After a while the semi-extortionate price at Maplin starts to look quite reasonable compared to wasted time, petrol, etc.
If we are talking about cleaning skin, surgical spirit is handy. It's mostly ethanol with some odd smelly bits and some castor oil thrown in.
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

Otherwise buy a cassette cleaning kit from woollies - they use IPA as a solvent
--
geoff

Maplin definitely list it now, in cans and aerosols. 9.99/l for the former - that's probably about twice the price of a cleaning kit and 43 times as much alcohol. I must remember to get some...
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

So why mention it?

--
geoff

<snip>
Maplin don't have a minimum charge at their shops.
--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

It is also available from ARD Electronics (www.ardelectronics.com) for 2.29 per litre plus VAT. Code 370-00026.
CRB

I'm on the case there
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

Hs no one mentned teh fact that windscreen wash is pretty much pure isopropanol?
writes

I thought that screen washes/antifreeze was mainly ethylene glycol
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

Is it? I thought not. Oh well.
Colin wrote:

Cellulose thinners probably.

I don't think so

--
geoff

Dunno if it's the solvent in the pens, but it sure cleans it off the boards when you write something on them and leave it for 6 months.
geoff wrote:

Try acetone or cellulose solvent - Xylene?

Woah, xylene is nasty stuff. Someone posted a link to a breakdown of typical dry-wipe pens. I think they were alcohol-based, so I'd try that kind of solvent first.
--

Mail john rather than nospam...