OT: Whiteboard Marker Solvent

Hi,

Has anyone discovered what the solvent is for whiteboard markers. (My children find it impossible to remember to put the lids back on.)

TIA, Colin

Reply to
Colin

Grunff

Hmm .. depends. The 'dry' type (that smell like pear drops) are more likely to use ethyl acetate or similar judging by the smell ... isopropyl alcohol may very well work, but then they may lose the 'dry wipe' attribute.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

Easy to get hold of?

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Trivially. But I haven't bought any for yonks. Boots got it for me last time.

I expect some jobs-worth will say you can't have it because of "terrorism".

Reply to
Huge

Long before 11/9 you would get odd looks from many a pharmacist when trying to buy IPA. After a while the semi-extortionate price at Maplin starts to look quite reasonable compared to wasted time, petrol, etc.

If we are talking about cleaning skin, surgical spirit is handy. It's mostly ethanol with some odd smelly bits and some castor oil thrown in.

Reply to
John Laird

"Colin" wrote in message news:blbqi3$34c$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk... : Hi, : : Has anyone discovered what the solvent is for whiteboard markers. : (My children find it impossible to remember to put the lids back on.) : Try here

AB

Cellulose thinners probably.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think so

Reply to
geoff

In message , John Laird writes

IPA is available from CP - about £7 / litre I think Otherwise buy a cassette cleaning kit from woollies - they use IPA as a solvent

Reply to
geoff

Dunno if it's the solvent in the pens, but it sure cleans it off the boards when you write something on them and leave it for 6 months.

Reply to
Huge

Try acetone or cellulose solvent - Xylene?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Woah, xylene is nasty stuff. Someone posted a link to a breakdown of typical dry-wipe pens. I think they were alcohol-based, so I'd try that kind of solvent first.

Reply to
John Laird

Maplin definitely list it now, in cans and aerosols. £9.99/l for the former

- that's probably about twice the price of a cleaning kit and 43 times as much alcohol. I must remember to get some...

Reply to
John Laird

So why mention it?

Reply to
geoff

Maplin don't have a minimum charge at their shops.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

whiteboard markers are not dry wipe pens necessarily. Or at least lots of people buy permanent pens by mistake :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is also available from ARD Electronics

for £2.29 per litre plus VAT. Code 370-00026.

CRB

Reply to
CRB

I have just tried dipping the ends of two makes of dry-wipe pens (Berol and Magiboard) in IPA. It was not a solvent for the ink in either case.

CRB

Reply to
CRB

It wouldn't be. MEK to the oldies (methyl-ethyl ketone) butan-2-one for the youngsters is the solvent used in dry wipe pens. Acetone will almost certainly dissolve the ink (nick the SWMBO's nail varnish remover) but is not used because it is so volatile that the pens would dry out and become useless quickly. Have I just given the pen manufacturers a way to quadruple their sales?

to be the owner of NOBO who provide visual aids equipment, and unless things have changed, they sell a whiteboard rejuvenator spray which does exactly what it says on the tin.

John Schmitt

-- If you have nothing to say, or rather, something extremely stupid and obvious, say it, but in a 'plonking' tone of voice - i.e. roundly, but hollowly and dogmatically. - Stephen Potter

Reply to
John Schmitt