OT: Which is worse - Norton or McAfee?

McAfee is total bollocks. I won't ever touch that with a barge pole ever again.

Reply to
David in Normandy

That doesn't answer the OP's question... :-)

Personally I haven't used _both_, so I can't really compare.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Norton, it is the worst virus I have come across (extremely hard to get rid of.

Reply to
F Murtz

Exactly what I use. I recently upgraded to the very latest AVG Free, though it constantly tries to persuade me to go for the paid option. ('Bout time I upgraded Spybot as well, I suppose.)

MM

Reply to
MM

En el artículo , hugh escribió:

They're both bloated s**te, as is AVG since version 8.

M$ Security Essentials and Spybot Search & Destroy, and manually run Malwarebytes now and then. All free and regularly updated.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

And won't be able to switch the damn thing off every time you update? Get yourself a Linux box and a browser not hand in glove with Google.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Well as long as you are not blind, I don't think there is much to choose!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well having use both those banks the Barclays site is IHMO better to use HSBC one is a bit lacking and cumbersome, but the difference in banking backup service and ease of contacting them is poles apart...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Mike Tomlinson scribeth thus

+1 ....
Reply to
tony sayer

They are both crap. But I think Norton is the worst, since it is difficult to fully remove from your PC. I use Avast, which is pretty good, although they are starting to push their "professional" version a bit harder (they pop-up virus definition update box sometimes asks you if you want to "upgrade"). It is good enough that I would be willing to pay a small charge for it. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

TBH I use "retail" on Barclays and "business" on HSBC. I know that the retail HSBC site isn't as nice as their businness online banking. When (tuit permitting) I move I'm half hoping that a new "retail" current account can be added to my business ones but I don't think that is possible. B-(

When I'm doing stuff online I want it to do the job in a clear and quick manner. I don't want a "great graphical user experience", with a page taking tens of seconds to load and render because it's loaded with javascript to give boxes rounded corners. You can't use the Barclays onine site with javascript off, you can the HSBC one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That is my current experience with Norton which is why I'm thinking of changing. McAfee come free with BT Infinity (including the regular virus upgrades).

Reply to
hugh

Had all sorts of issues with McAfee helping friends get their boxes to work. And doesn't McAfee charge a yearly subscription? Norton pissed me off because they started insisting I had an "OEM"copy (more expensive the update each year) despite me e-mailing them the picture of the box it came in.

I was using Avast (free) and liked it but the last two times the upgrade screwed my XP boxes (would not boot - had to F8 safe boot, uninstall Avast completely) so now using the Microsoft free product. AFAIK it's working fine, but then I wouldn't know otherwise if it were infected would I ;-).

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Slows down startup drastically. I've gone back to using nothing, with no ill effects.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I've tried them all numerous times. Never found a single thing to worry about and suspect many people have the same experience. How do you *know* they are any good?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

MSE is the infection, not the cure :-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In article , Man at B&Q writes

Very unwise, akin to shagging around without a condom. You personally might see no ill effects, but you have a responsibility to the wider internet to ensure your PC is not compromised.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've simply put windows in a sandbox that cant see the internet.

I use Linux for that.

So many distros and different ways of setting it up that a virus is almost unwriteable.

Behind a NAT firewall its almost un hackable too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Read my other posts. I do occasionally run the latest and greatest but have *never* found *anything* of note. The router firewall and my attitude to which links I click, etc., are all the protection I need.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Avast is fine on windows 7. Simon.