OT:What does this overflow pipe do ?

Hi, It's OT 'cos I'm unlikely to do anything about this myself :-) Anyway, I was outside this morning and I could hear water. I looked around and found that a low down 'overflow' pipe was expelling water. Please excuse my complete ignorance in all things plumbing but could someone tell me what this does ...

to get the builders in ?

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
KD

In message , KD writes

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

As it's copper, bent to the ground and sheilded I'd say it was the pressure relief outlet from your combi boiler. This needs to be looked at especially if it it flowing all the time. It might just be a lump of crud jaming the valve open or it could have failed. Not having a combi thats as far as my knowledge extends so don't know how "servicable" these devices are.

Be better to get a heating engineer or plumber with combi boiler experience.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes - it's the drain for the thing on the other side of the wall !!!

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Do you have a combi boiler, could be pressure releif valve drain.

If it is this, you want a plumber, not a builder.

Reply to
Glenn

More likely a plumber or heating engineer. The safety cage suggests that the water is expected to be hot - is it hot? If so, my guess is that it's something to do with the boiler.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

Some have suggested an overflow, but looking tah teh house there may be anoher possibility.

You have a raised wooden floor inside and a sump underneah, and a pump to pump water out of it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Errm... good question. Just a radiator. On the inside of the wall (to the left of the open door in the photo) is a bog standard boiler (not Combi).

Reply to
KD

As far as I know we're on a concrete raft arrangement with concrete floors so I hope it's not a drain :-) Regarding the ideas about the boiler it seems an odd set up given that the boiler is on the other side of the door frame. The only thing directly behind is a rad .... ooops no it isn't. There is a sewage stack pipe in the wall so it's probably coming from the hot water system upstairs.

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
KD

directly

Do you have an unvented cylinder?

Reply to
Neil Jones

This is a crap new build so the bits should still be under warranty from the 'builders'. Of course they will get their cowboy plumbers in to look at it after I mention it to them :-) These are the plumbers whose idea of fixing a faulty rad valve was leave the radiator not working but turn up the thermostats on all the other radiators in the house so we wouldn't notice ... yeeeha.

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
KD

That sounds familiar .. the British Gas lad around here the other week mentioned that we'd got an unvented system.

Reply to
KD

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:49:36 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "KD" strung together this:

Have a look in the airing cupboard, there's probably something in there with a red knob on it. this is a pressure relief valve. It'll be that that is on the other end of the leaky pipe. Although there are probably 2 or 3 in the cupboard judging from the size of the pipe and the age of the house. Just out of interest where is the house\who are the house builders?

Reply to
Lurch

It's Bryant. I was involved in the discussion a couple of weeks ago about the quality of their houses.....

Reply to
KD

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:09:33 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "KD" strung together this:

Bet that took a while! Have you found the source of the leak?

Reply to
Lurch

Lurch, I'm not going to touch the system .. the Bryant mob are around in the next couple of days to sort out a load of other stuff so I'll collar them then.

Cheers, Keith

Reply to
KD

Sounds like it could just be a drain pipe for the central heating then (see my thread from a week ago about "easy drain central heating").

If you look at the pipework near the radiator can you see any other pipes tee off it and then dissapear through the wall via a valve of some sort? If so, they have done what I decribed in my previous thread, where you bring the CH drain directly outside (over a drain gully would have been nice!) to save having to hook up hose etc to drain the system down. You may find the valve used is letting some water through when closed, or is not closed completely.

Reply to
John Rumm

Funnily enough mine trickles a bit too. I think its actually condensation inside it.

If its like mine its not directly connected tp the tank at all - there is some sort of open cage between. Warmish most air in the loft condenses on the cold pipe and runs down it inside.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cheers NP. I'll look out for that before spitting out my dummy at the builders :-)

Reply to
KD