OT: USA Voltage

Not DIY I know, but somebody on here will know I am sure. I am going to New York in August and the US voltage is 120V. I have got the adaptors for their type of sockets. My question is will the chargers for my digital camera (AA type batteries 1.5V) and camcorder (NiCd 6V 1200mAh) work correctly or do I just need to allow more time for charging? If it helps with any replies/calculations my digital charger says 230V - 50 Hz 4.6W, and my camcorder charger says 100-240V 50-60Hz 23W. My (uneducated) feeling is the camcorder will be OK but not too sure about the digital charger.

Many thanks in advance and sorry to be Off Topic.

John

Reply to
John

The camcorder will be fine, the charger is unlikely to work at all.

Reply to
Grunff

It's on topic enough :-)

The camcorder charger will work correctly and will not require extra charging time. Just plug it in via the adaptor.

The camera one will probably not work at all.

There are two ways around this. One is is buy an autotransformer that will convert 110v in to 220v out before you go. RS Components and Maplin etc. do these but the ones here are generally for the opposite purpose of running a 110v appliance on out 220v mains and have the connectors to do that. You *can* use them backwards as well but if it's an enclosed type with the american socket built in, this all becomes a bit dodgy because you have to have a male to male cable with american plugs on each end. Considering that it's also an extra weight to carry, I wouldn't recommend it.

The better way would be to wait until you get there and buy a charger at a camera store or drug store. Many of the drug stores are 24hr because they also do groceries. They are likely to have a charger for about $10. You could take a pack of alkaline batteries to tide you over until you find a store. Whether you want to go out shopping after dark in certain parts of New York is another thing of course.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi John

As others have said, the camcorder charger will work OK with a suitable adapter.

Your best get for the AA digital camera batteries is to use a US charger. Now I have one that I can sell you. I bought this a couple of years ago when I was in the US on holiday and have not used it since, and will have no need for it in the near future. So £5 plus shipping at cost, I would guess at say £2 max for recorded first class or less without the recorded bit.

If you are interested reply here and / or mail me at deebee - at - email - dot - com

Duncan

Reply to
DeeBee

I bought an AA Charger that has a 12v Car adaptor lead. If I go on holiday I am likely to have a hire car and will be able to charge the batteries.

Reply to
John

I believe that there are at least two shops in the USA sell battery chargers.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

May take you up on that, if I do I'll let you know. You said "As others have said....", I can only see your reply and one from another John mentioning a car adaptor. Am I missing some replies?

TIA

John

Reply to
John

Many thanks for your reply!!! You should take notice of my Grandma, she used to say "If you have nothing nice (or constructive) to say, say nowt". The object of asking the question was to AVOID buying something else, if the item I already have will do the job. I believe there are at least two shops in the UK that sell the sarcasm antidote!

Now go away

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote | I believe there are at least two shops | in the UK that sell the sarcasm antidote!

That'll be in the next aisle to the high flow combi boilers then. | Now go away

This is usenet. There is no escape.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is this on holiday ? If so some hotels either have a shop selling chargers or will loan you one on deposit.

Reply to
G&M

Both at outrageous prices. The UK is good at this too. I recently saw a visiting American in a hotel here being taken for £30 to borrow a US to UK adaptor.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

From a UK hotel I'd expect nothing less. But in the US good hotels usually only insist on a returnable deposit. All sorts of things like modem cables, convertors to every mains plug in the world and so on.

Reply to
G&M

Mmm. and free internet connection.

In Europe it costs anything up to £20 an hour.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

As I said, "Yep", meaning that the battery charger won't work, sorry that this wasn't clear. The dramatically easier way is to simply buy one over there, as you'r going to need to buy one, or at least a much more expensive power converter.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

*derisive snort*

Most Americans don't even realise that there *is* another kind of mains plug. Nor different mains. Nor different 'leccy.

"Look, they have BP here" - my Californian friend's 18 yo daughter on the drive back from Heathrow.

Reply to
Huge

Americans - no. But US hotels - yes. They seem to understand the concept of service unlike hotels over here.

Reply to
G&M

If you're lucky to be at one that has it. For some reason many hotels limit this to the Executive suites.

Reply to
G&M

The last American hotel I stayed in had Internet connectivity. For $12/hr.

Reply to
Huge

Sounds more like a motel. Everything is extra in one of those.

Reply to
G&M

"Huge" wrote | Most Americans don't even realise that there *is* another kind | of mains plug. Nor different mains. Nor different 'leccy. | "Look, they have BP here" - my Californian friend's 18 yo | daughter on the drive back from Heathrow.

Overheard by a friend whilst in Italy: "Hey, Mom, guess what. They have pizza here too."

Owain

Reply to
Owain