OT - transfer VHS tapes to DVD

I have found that most will copy from VHS machine to PVR but the odd one just throws up the "Copyright Signal Detected" message and recording stops. Bear in mind that I am not involving a PC in the transfer, just machine to machine. The ones that failed were both Disney. The copying is only so that I can play them on the DVD machine prior to the VHS one being disposed of so I have no need to copy DVDs.

Reply to
Tinkerer

I also have a USB convertor and the picture is fine but the sound is poor. When I get round to it I will attempt feeding the sound in via Line In instead, but a grand parenting duties seem to take all my time at the moment.

Reply to
Tinkerer

I have not tried that, but we do have a lot of Disney tape originals, so I will try that some time tomorrow and post the results. Have you got a title that gives you that problem?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

All Disney videos are produced with Macrovison encoding, most other video companies didn't bother, unless it was a high end high value video.. Macrovision can be worked around but not easily. A few years back, I worked for Rank Video on the Gret West Rd, where we recorded and packed video tapes for most of the major companies. All of the Buena Vista (Disney) tapes were recorded under very strict security and were counted at every stage of production, a real pain.

Reply to
Old Git

I suspect Old Git (I resemble that remark) is correct. Anyway, the one I was trying to copy was "The Lion King" for my grandson, although it's academic now as his mum picked up a copy in a charity shop. I have just done "Return Of The Living Dead" for my son (a friend of his without a VHS wants to borrow it) and it went a treat.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Its easy, you just buy an off the shelf video enhancer that cleans up the sync pulses. That remove macro vision. Macro vision is really simple.. it just mucks about with the length of the sync pulses to screw up the AGC on the recorder.

That's because they knew people there would steal copies and then the pirates could make thousands of fakes before the official launch.

Reply to
dennis

That's rather stating the bleedin' obvious really Dennis. I didn't add that comment as I credited the majority here with enough intelligence to work that out for themselves.

Reply to
Old Git

Don't forget that's Dennis the Retard you're talking to.

Reply to
Huge

Just tried Lion King and as you say it comes up with a message that says it cannot be copied.

It looks like I am going to have to buy one of Maplin's signal conditioners that warn you that copying some video tapes could be illegal ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What be that then? I looked on Maplin's and could not locate such. Care to post a link.

Reply to
Tinkerer

I'll have to ask you for some time to find that. I am now prepping to go to Portsmouth and back tomorrow (266 miles a leg.)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I expected to find it on their site, but the only time I have seen it has been in their flyers that they have outside their doors and it isn't in the one that expires on the 24th of this month.

I'll have more time to look early next week.

Regards

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I also have been away to the south coast for a while (Bognor - the dreaded Butlins with our grandson who adores the place) and Christmas is galloping in now. However, if you do come across it I would be interested.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Missed some of this, but if you're copying via a PC, there's plenty of free software around to help you overcome copyright restrictions.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

Naughty boy. I'll tell Lawd Mandelson about you

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Not me Guv, Somebody told me it was there, honest.

Reply to
John Miller

I am not. I am copying from VHS machine to PVR.

Reply to
Tinkerer