OT T reg Escort will not start

They were certainly popular with Ford, and I'm not sure when they stopped

- I think some of their vehicles well into the 80s were still using them, long after everyone else was using the pre-engaged type.

I've seen some vehicles where a worn starter can turn the engine over, just not fast enough for it to fire up - but the OP should be looking at battery, plugs, leads etc. before worrying about stuff like that, I think...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

My old V reg Mk 2 was a 1979. So I guess T was probably 78/79. Mk 3s first hit the scene at old 'W' reg.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

My V-reg Mk2 Escort had a pre-engaged starter, whilst my mates W-reg Mk2 Escort had an inertia one. I think it depended on where your Escort came from. I quite liked the sound of the inertia ones! :-)

Reply to
John Whitworth

Yeah, I think you're right - I was going from K-reg and counting forward, but misremembering K as being 1974, not 1972. D'oh!

So yes, that'd make an old T-reg definitely a Mk2...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I suggest removing the air filter: in un-maintained vehcles this gets more and more choked to the point where the mixture is so rich the engine floods instead of starting. Could (just possibly) be the case here. Dave

Reply to
gbr1918

So are we gonna be left in suspense? did it start

Reply to
Phil L

Be patient. All things being equal I will get around there later today.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Firstly, plug and leads. Only use the genuine motorcraft leads.

Secondly, oil. These *must* be filled with 5w-30 otherwise valve stick / tappet jack call it what you will causes poor and non starting from cold.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ps, are we talking about 1978 or 1998 ??

If former, disregard the part about oil in my post!!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Already established that it's actually a P-reg prefix, so '97ish.

Reply to
Adrian