OT "Standing in a queue"

My occupational pension is paid monthly - on the 15th. My State Pension arrives every 4 weeks.

Reply to
charles

Too much information! :) Let me refine my question: what other *legal/ contractual* types of month are there?

Reply to
The Other John

a) calendar month; b) "four-week month" as used by the payroll of some older companies

Reply to
NY

My first job was working with a bloke called Jack Thomas, he was christened John.

Reply to
David Lang

+1

I budget as if I receved the state pension once a month. Then I have a nice bonus once a year!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Given that my ISP is happy to bill you 'lunar monthly', it is presumably contractual.

(third bullet under 'Periodic billing')

Reply to
Bob Eager

Any sort you care to mention in a contract. Venusian months will do nicely. Assuming venus has months...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bird's Eye - the frozen food people - were about to market "Crispy Cod Pieces" and there nearly was a City University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

Reply to
charles

Apparently Mary Whitehouse (her of the puritanical "rid our television of this filth") was about to name her campaign " Clean Up National Television". Oh how I wish she'd actually done it... Her of all people...

Reply to
NY

Odd when you are self employed. If employed, a 5 week month means you have to make the money last an extra week. Self employed means you have another week to earn money.

And then there's bank holidays.

Reply to
David Lang

Randy is a common American name.

Reply to
harry

Discussing Shakspear and correct spelling is bound to lead to problems.

Shakespeare Shakespere Shakespear Shakspeare Shackspeare Shakspere Plus a few others.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

The DWP pays us pensioners every 28 days (lunar month), & I imagine that is both legal & contractual.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I agree!

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's not a lunar month. A lunar month is about 29.5-ish days (see my ISP link).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yesbut.

The Cousins have a phrase "Close Enough for Goverment Work".

So... My Moon May Vary.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Not close enough for my ISP's invoicing system though!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Correct, although any computer engineer or computer scientist or software engineer will know the word queue, where it has the same meaning as when we use it more generally.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A 'line' is for people only. Queue has the concept of FIFO behaviour of any elements.

The only difference - after all we say 'stand in line' as well as 'form a queue' is that we are more disciplined, and society endorses FIFO behaviour on people.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Tim Streater writes

True, but would any American use queue in the British sense? Probably not, in the same way that most Brits will know the Americanisms, but would rarely use them in place of the more usual British words.

Getting back to the original conspiracy theory, I doubt that speech was written for Obama by a Brit. Yes, Baz and Dave probably agreed the general outline, but far more likely the speech was written by Obama's usual writers, then gone through with a fine tooth comb, to change any Americanisms to words more easily understood by a British audience. No more than common courtesy.

Reply to
News