OT: Practical Mechanics

Is Practical Mechanics magazine still going? If not, is there a similar publication?

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Car Mechanics?

Doctor D

out of a fairy liquid bottle, some sticky backed plastic and a spare gerbil.

Car Mechanics, on the other hand, still allow advertising of all the snake oil products like tin pellet 'catalysts' to replace lead in petrol - and occasionally endorse them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno, but I got several years worth given me from the 50s-60s to read through a month ago!

Reply to
Badger

used to get this mag just to laugh at the drivel in it was very funny in its day

Reply to
mindwipe

err..umm (trying to clear away the fog enveloping memory) - ISTR a few years back - c.2000 or so - an account of GCHQ's james ellis's discovery of public key encryption which stated that he got the idea from an article in this said magazine, which reported a Bell Lab's scheme for doing something similar in analog using white noise.

Maybe not all drivel?

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

That was half the fun! I just wondered if it (Or anything similar) was still going today?

I don't want something that goes into the nitty gritty of running a home machine shop,just something full of stupid things you an build at home.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Unfortunately, I could never source sticky backed plastic that was sticky enough to hold the gerbil down :(

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

How about 'Make'?

a bit more computery and a bit less nut and bolty than you have in mind? Would have subscribed myslef but the UK rate (30ish quid for four issues) is a bit on the hefty side. Shame.

Reply to
urchaidh