OT; Photo Editor

FastStone Image Viewer (also freeware). If you want, you can slip them a small, optional donation (which I did - I believe they take something like a fixed $10).

don't really need the other FastStone programs.

Although I have others image programs, I use FastStone most of the time. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a 'clone' tool - and you need one if you want to repair photos.

Gimp comes well-recommended (and has a clone tool). But, as others have said, "it has a steep learning curve", ie it's a bugger to use until you you've spent a lot of time mastering it. One day, I might get the hang of it!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Err, no. You're standing at the bottom, scrabbling at a shear surface with your fingernails.

Reply to
Huge

A leaning "curve" is a graph of knowledge against time. The steeper the gradient, the faster the learning. The only time you can really equate a steep learning curve to a difficult task is when there is a time constraint as well. i.e. you have a subject to learn that naturally has a shallow curve and one would expect it to take a long time to master, but you are being asked to compress that into a reduced time.

Reply to
John Rumm

Are you sure that she hasn't already got one?

Most things capable of creating photo images (e.g. digital cameras and scanners) invariably come bundled with software for manipulating the images. Have a look to see what software CDs you've got! The bundled stuff will probably be OEM versions rather than "fully featured" - but are usually sufficient for most purposes.

If you can't find anything, Google for IrfanView - it's free, and probably easier to learn than The Gimp.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The convention when creating graphs (to show the learning curve) is for the independent variable to be along the X axis and the dependent variable up the Y axis. In this case, time is the independent variable and expertise or skill is dependent on it. So a correctly drawn learning curve graph for a difficult topic _should_ show lots of time passing for little knowledge gained. I.e. a gently rising line/curve. The problem is the metaphor ("a steep learning curve") is wrong - presumably first uttered by someone still at the bottom of the learning curve, learning curve :)

Reply to
pete

Well, it's been helping me!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Depending on what exactly she wants to do she may even find that something as basic as free Picasa is all that she needs.

Spamlet

In message , Jeff Gaines writes

I have that (elements 7.0)

It does more than I am capable of using:-)

Pressie last year.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sounds good to me.

Reply to
Huge

Glad you mentioned IV - very quick and easy for many basic tasks. Now includes text and red-eye reduction. Can reduce the size of an image in a few seconds - could be useful?

BTW, I have an app. called Corel_PaintShopPro1010_EN_LEXAR_Retail.exe which was a fully functional, free download last year. I don't know if it's still available. I'd be happy to send it to any who want it but, given that it's about 112MB, uploading it to a site might be better (and take about an hour on my connection!).

Reply to
PeterC

Or do it online with

which I find works pretty well. Ain't no gimp or photoshop though ...

Reply to
Adrian C

It looks like a number of people have done that for you, saving you the worry of whether the free offer let you redistribute it legally:

Alan Braggins

For some reason, I've never got on well with Corel products.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Aperture?

Reply to
Jim Backus

uninstalling it, I haven't used it.

There's an additional instruction that I got from somewhere:

------------------------------------- Corel Paint 10

To remove nag screen (on exit) do the following:

  1. After installing, open the following file in Notepad: C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro X\PCUUI\Container.htm
  2. Erase all the text, replace it with the following code:

location="pcucmd://Cancel?confirm=no";

Save the file

--------------------------------------

Reply to
PeterC

thingy as an Xmas gift.

Yeah, search on google for one called The Gimp. (Not a wind-up). It's open source, runs on winders or linux and is FREE to download. Does everything you would pay loadsamoney for. So more Xmas beer vouchers for you.

Geoff Beale

Reply to
Geoff Beale

no one app does everything, but gimp is by far the most capable overall. Its hard to find software that there's any reason to pay for now.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I've been quite impressed with Inkscape of late - it is a vector editor but it can do some interesting things with photos too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

IME it's the one area where freeware just doesn't cut it

Reply to
stuart noble