OT: Packaway raincoat

Shitty colours though. How about something that matches the environment a bit better.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If you're stamping about on a Scottish hillside in the pissing rain, the last thing you want is something that "matches the environment". And if, more likely, you're wearing it in a town, who cares?

Reply to
Huge

Thanks very much for all the replies. I am not consulting with SWMBO.

Reply to
Huge

You're not a Septic are you? I know they are good at uglification, but no need to do it here. People have no style these days.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If you have an accident and the rescuers need to find you, wearing camoflage is the last thing you'd want.

Reply to
charles

Style? In a packaway raincoat? Don't be ridiculous. Most of them look like a binbag with arms.

Reply to
Huge

Funny, then, how when I used to go hiking in the Alps, people typically wore nicer colours. Course it's warmer there and any accident is likely to be terminal anyway.

On a Scottish hillside you can always put the bright jacket on after the accident. In fact, you'd probably need to.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Precisely.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Which was my point ...

Reply to
Huge

OK, it arrived. Hermes delivery at their usual camel pace...

It will certainly do the job, I'll no longer swim like a fish.

It's "100% polyamide", silky feel on the outside and a rubberised feel inside. Large fits me well, generous hood, weighs 300g, packs to

23x10x10cm. Machine washable, no bleach, no tumble dry.

Slight concern is I had an old jacket with a rain hood, that had a similar rubberised coating inside that eventually separated in a sticky mess - I'm wondering if this is the same coating, though scraping it doesn't yield any clues as yet - unless that one failed by washing incorrectly.

What malady killed your old coat?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz
[16 lines snipped]

The same. It was a Peter Storm mid-length single-layer coat with a zipper and velcro closure up the front, made from woven synthetic fibre with an interior coating. IIRC, I bought it in a outdoorsey shop in Keswick. It lasted several decades, but then the lining started to coming off, starting at the seams, and as a result it started to leak. But then it didn't owe me anything by then. I bought a Cotton Traders lined raincoat from a CT outlet store to replace and it's nothing like as good, plus being lined it doesn't roll up as small.

Reply to
Huge