OT - No stamp

It's not the keyboard or your computer but the way your ISP or somewhere in the chain interprets a non approved ASCII character.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So Bob can you start using 'GBP' instead of '£' since you're using US ASCII. :-)

p.s I see every one else's '£' sign.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yup, it's a pound. Got stung with that (+21pence) the other day when my bank sent me a renewal form for something (that they certainly could have sorted out by secure email - which we use) - and the banks franking machine ran out of ink just at the part where the postage rate would be displayed!!!

So.....

If you collect all incoming junk mail and send it back to them in envelopes *unpaid*, could you nicely bankrupt the junk mailers?

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Must be a new thing then since one did within living memory (year ago?). I sit corrected. The shifting sands of Royal Mail. Do they still deliver letters or has this been abolished too?

Reply to
Colum Mylod

You might not if you change the font you use to view the news groups. As it happens I can see yours - but there is still no guarantee. Try reading the message above with the pound signs (£) replaced by the international money symbol (¤) or a W with a hat on (?) and see if it makes as much sense. ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

I suspect the collection of cash by postie was stopped because there was the occasional shortage from a) large postie pockets or b) the can't-be-arsed-will-just-stick-it-through-the-letterbox syndrome.

AFAICR, postmen haven't been able to collect cash from private addresses for at least 4 years although they can, or at least they could collect from a business address.

Reply to
Geoffrey

Yes, they probaly get enough from robbing credit cards :-)

Reply to
Matt

That will be because most users have Windows and are using the same code=20 page - that doesn't make it correct.

Reply to
Rob Morley

They still deliver, but don't really care if it's to the correct address anymore if mine is anything to go by. Just this week I've had half a dozen or so to the correct number but wrong street, or should have gone next door. And both houses have clear numbers on the doors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not using Windows, and have just changed to a new version of my newsreader with different codepage support. I'll experiment with the settings...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Any chance you could talk to the local delivery office and keep a record of when the letters are wrongly delivered ? It may be that the relief guy (one day a week, rotating days) is being less than perfect. My son had the same problem with one of the guys who did his walk occasionally, but with the help of the customers managed to get it sorted. The local management are usually helpful if you approach them politely. hth Neil

Reply to
neil

Up until recently we had the same postman most of the time and he was good. Recently, it seems to be a different one every day. And the time he arrives varies by as much as two hours whereas the last chap was almost always at the same time. Letters to the wrong street simply go in the post box at the end of the road.

If it happens much more I will do. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Strange - our postie has often collected money from us for deliveries (such as where a customs fee is required)

Reply to
Matt Beard

I like that idea. That'll teach those fuggers!!

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy