OT - No stamp

Hi all. I just fugged up and posted a letter without a stamp. Didn't put my return to sender address either. What happens here?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

I believe the person you sent the letter to will have to pay the cost of postage, plus a 5p surcharge.

Reply to
Dark Angel

DIY goes on here ;-)

I should imagine the reciever will pay the postage as sometimes stamps fall off postings during the sorting process.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ah! Nice, warm, cosy, the smell of pipe tobbacco blueing the air, toast done on the fire... mugs of stuff... lovely.

The recipient will be asked to cough up for the cost of the postage + 50p. He'll have to go and collect the item. If he refuses to pay, the P.O. won't give hime the item, and will "dispose of it at their discretion".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They'll get a card asking them to go to the delivery office. They'll be asked to pay the difference in postage (all of it in your case). They'll assume second class unless (a) you wrote First Class on it or (b) it's over 750g.

They will also have to pay a 1 pound admin charge. If they don't pay it, the letter will be destroyed (would be returned if there was a return address, but not in your case!).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wrong. See my other reply!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wrong. Postage (second or first class, depending) plus 1 pound. See my other reply.

Reply to
Bob Eager

This is the new "Priority Mail" service.

Because they stand to collect an extra quid on it, the post office will actually work really hard to deliver this one correctly and speedily. Then your addressee gets a yellow sticker and has to pay up missing postage + a quid (AFAIR) handling charge.

In this end of Bristol it's the only way to get post through without the thieving bastards stealing it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

| I believe the person you sent the letter to will have to pay the cost of | postage, plus a 5p surcharge.

It has gone up to IIRC about 50p :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

A pound...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Interesting, I looked it up, & found the figure of 50p, as I'm about to send a package, and didn't want to sent it without enough stamps on it. Another search finds:

says £1. Hm. So I suppose it *is* £1!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thinking about it, that's how mail used to be delivered back before we Blitish invented the stamp!

There's progress for you.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

It is.

Our local NHS trust seems to be saving money by sending out unstamped appointment letters which cost =A31.20 something to pick up from the post office (OK, it was probably a one off mistake, but...).

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

A cunning ruse to reduce the waiting list...well they had offered an appointment.

Reply to
<me9

Postie can collect his pound of flesh at the door. Or forget to and deliver it anyway. However the odds of that happening are slight unless the sender stuck on an old Green Shield stamp or the kids doodled a stamp-like illustration in the top right corner (RM often delivers, or did a few years ago, letters bearing any old rubbish as stamp). The last part makes this reply relevant to a DIY group!

Reply to
Colum Mylod

Actually he can't. Postpeople are not allowed to collect money at the door.

Reply to
Geoffrey

I think they've stopped postmen collecting cash now...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I just see people complaining about the ?1 when I go and empty my PO box...

Reply to
Bob Eager

>>> Which says o1. Hm. So I suppose it *is* o1!

I have a keyboard here that has the £ sign working if you want it?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Irrelevant. I've no doubt that Bob pressed the pound sign on his keyboard and saw it on his screen. As that sign is not defined in the seven-bit range of characters that we use on usenet - and the 'top-bit' range that includes the pound sign vary according to machine and font - you simply cannot use that sign and expect it to be seen as sent. The correct terminology is GBP.

Reply to
John Cartmell