OT Interesting WW1 pix

Harry, you are often irritating [1] but you so often come up with gems like this! Thanks a lot!

John

[1] Often, I think, deliberately, you rogue.
Reply to
Another John

+1, a remarkable collection.
Reply to
newshound

What always amazes me about war is the total devastation, yet a few years later it hardly seems noticeable. I understand urban areas recovering with extensive rebuilding, but how dose the countryside recover so quickly?

Reply to
Broadback

Lots and lots and lots of hard (and sometimes dangerous) labour to clear ordnance, barbed wire etc; fill in shell holes and trenches; bring in mechnaized ploughs; and so on. Also used PoWs at first and then lots of migrant labour (eg from Poland). There are accounts online; and if you stay on a farm in Picardie etc you may well find locals willing to tell you the stories of how their farms and farm houses were reconstituted - even if like me your French stops at "ma tante".

-- Robin reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Reply to
Robin

You obviously don't live in the country!

Wife freaks out as I take digger to the 'lawn' and screams "It will take years..."

6 months later its a carpet of weeds. after mowing for another 6 months its mainly mower tolerant grass..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Another John scribeth thus

Yes indeed. I never knew that Japan sided with Britain in WW1 !...

Reply to
tony sayer

We had been allies since 1902, which was a major break from Britain's isolationist policy that was driven by concerns over Russian ambitions in the Far East.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Reply to
harryagain

I thought everybody knew that. Ernest Hemingway's experiences in the Italian campaign were the basis for A Farewell To Arms. British troops supporting the Italians were the first allied troops to enter enemy territory.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar