OT: How noisy are food mixers?

Potentially a "how long is a piece of string" question but...

SWMBO has a new Kenwood-style (but not Kenwood) food mixer.

Out of the box and without being under load, it sounds bloody loud to both of us, to the extent that it almost drowns out the phone ringing and the doorbell.

It doesn't sound raggy as if there's something wrong with it... it just sounds LOUD.

If it were a power tool, I'd be considering reaching for the ear muffs.

Are they all loud? Are they generally loud? Are there quieter ones?

Reply to
mike

I have both a KitchenAid and a Kenwood, and find the Kenwood to be _much_ noisier.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I can hear my neighbours through the kitchen wall which is breeze block. I really don't think anyone ever cares about this at the design stage. Blenders are equally as bad. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We have a Kenwood K-Mix - and it's not that noisy. Well - until relatively recently when I think a bearing started to go, so it's currently in a local repair place to hopefully get mended...

I also have a hobart 20 quart commercial mixer - that's older than me and quieter than the K-Mix! (But there's also a litre of grease in the gearbox...)

The Vitamix blender we have drowns out everything. To the point I stick my fingers in my ears when wifey uses it as I find it painfully loud. The hand-held Bamix blender isn't too bad, but these devices make most of their noise from the cavitation effect AIUI.

I've seen a few cheaper "Stand mixers" recently - I'm guessing this is one

- everyone trying to get in on the act of making things look like the US KitchenAid mixer as seen on TV progs. like TGBBO... (So much for a British Bake-off using non-British companies!!!)

I'd take it back. Demonstrate how noisy it is, but before that, have a read of all the documentaiton and see if you can find anything that gives its noise level... You might find its designed that way )-:

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Another noisy bit of gear is the paper shredder, which thankfully is not used for very long. I think in that case its the case acting as a sound box.

Its not a new issue though, way back in the 1970s our first video recorder throbbed very loudly in the bass region, so bad it was on a shelf that I ended up putting a typewriter mat under it. It had two of those synchronous motors as used on the ole record decks bolted firmly to its steel chassis. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My old Kenwood Chef (circa 1950 I estimate) isn't noisy at all regardless of the attachment used. It growls a bit these days but I don't even have to turn the radio down

Reply to
stuart noble

They vary greatly. Our kenwood is quiet

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Unfortunately, the new ones are not built to the same standard as the old ones.

Reply to
S Viemeister