OT Ground source heat pumps

very long indeed. Why woul danybody fit one? Even if it saved, say, =A3500 a year it would still take 20 years to pay pac

Reply to
Robert Laws

No gas, no boiler, no oil tank, access through house, etc...

Reply to
cupra

Hiya Sorry I havent replied to your post earlier. I have been working away from the office. I have no problems with you either emailing me or phoning me to discuss the heat pump... though emailing is probably the best route as I am rarely in. The best email to get me on is snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk Kind Regards Calum Sabey NewArk Traditional Kitchens

01556 690544
Reply to
calums

I like the technology and idea of heat pumps and they are cheap enough to run if you get a high COP unit. The install cost is way too high, so much so it is better to install a cheap oil or LPG boiler and use the remainder of the money spent on a heat pump on heavy insulation and making the place more air tight. That will give a house that is much cheaper to run than a heat pump and technology that is easily and cheaply serviced.

Reply to
timegoesby

Adding a solar panel or two will make running costs even cheaper again. So look at other ways than a heat pump before you plunge into high install costs.

Reply to
timegoesby

You've just pointed out that the money spent on a ground source heat pump might be better spent on insulation and other energy conservation measures then you go and recommend solar heating to which the same considerations apply in spades!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Surely a heat pump ought to run for years without problems: my old fridge was still working fine when I dumped after 24 years. For those not of a DIY persuasion, oil or LPG will cost £100+ per year in servicing and replacements and you have the issue of fuel storage and deliveries.

The other big advantage of heat pumps on new builds is that they make complying with Part L much easier. The compliance test is now CO2 based. Electricity is assumed to produce about twice as much CO2/kW as LPG. Factor in the respective efficiencies 300%/90% and the CO2 for heat pump sourced heat is significantly less. Using solar panels for DHW would make sense since heat pumps are not at their best producing really hot water, rather warm water feeding into underfloor heating.

Reply to
Tony Bryer