OT: electrical insulation properties of engine oil?

I know you're a knowledgeable lot here, so:

I have a small electrical pond pump which is oil filled. During its dis-assembly I lost some oil. Can I top this up with conventional car engine oil? Or might the engine oil not be a good electrical insulator ...?

TIA

Reply to
Graham J

Why not ask in uk-d-i-y where you're more likely to get a helpful answer?

Followups reset.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

You really need transformer oil.

Reply to
mark

why not use mineral oil, aka baby oil

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Someone posted once that baby oil is palm oil (I've never got around to checking), also it is scented. But Liquid Paraffin BP from the Chemists is relatively pure mineral oil.

Reply to
newshound

its nothing like palm oil, buy the 2 and you'll immediately see

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Baby oil is white mineral oil (Liquid paraffin) and scent.

Baby oil without the scent.

Reply to
Peter Parry