OT: dead(?) gas strut

Just been dismantling an old chair (get some (possibly) useful bits) and had the base and column with gas strut. Now, I never get in line with either end of a gas strut so was fiddling around with the lever etc., then put the sharp end on a slab, operated the lever and pressed down hard. There was a whoosh of gas and the piston rod went flush down and stayed there. Is this the way to kill the thing? I wondered if it was a built-in method of rendering it harmless.

Reply to
PeterC

Sometimes. You push the cup seal against the ends internally, the cup bends and the seal doesn't seal for a moment. Cue whooshing and loss of pressure.

Don't think it's deliberate though. Usually the shaft isn't long enough and the shaft's end attachment bottoms out first.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ok, thanks - looks as if I was lucky.

I take all my scrap metal to the local tip, sorry, recycling centre in the panniers, so a suddenly operating gas strut is unwelcome; the whole assy. was a bit long when out.

Reply to
PeterC