OT; Cruelty to Handyman.

Me too, and the likes of pink on pale blue in a fancy font. If nothing else it prints out mid grey on a B&W printer.

If it is poor in black and white then it is not good enough for colour work.

Reply to
<me9

Great idea! I could get one of those programmable LED signs...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In my job I had to listen to radio one almost from it's inception. From almost day one if the level was more tha 3dB below peak level then a suspected fault was investigated. It was almost as good as tone for lining up circuits, always +6 to +8 on line up level. From listening I'd think that the then 2dB dynamic range is no more, shrunk to zero by now with more powerful compression.

Reply to
<me9

yerrs. and its not as if you are punching through a 40dB S/N ratio on a

5Khz bandwidth MW set these days either.

No excuse for it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It would avoid the need to shout above the radio.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Rock stars have riders in their contracts about things like the backstage booze and size of the comfy chairs. I don't see why your contract couldn't include riders like:

NO Radio 1!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I know what you mean. What I find depressing about the trend in pop music is the uniformity of it. If a song is still appreciated 30 years later it is probably because it had some different quality that made it stand out.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Nothing's changed in forty years. It was always shit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Instead we have the "we tried that 15 years ago, but it failed because ...", repeated every few years as a "new" idea is put in place.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Years ago a friend of mine on a summer job got fed up of the music played throughout the theme park and was sacked after substituting The Jesus and Mary Chain!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Magazines are designed by 20-somethings with perfect eyesight sitting in front of £1300 monitors.

Reply to
Huge

and never previewed on paper beofre the print run. - that doesn't just apply to 20-somethings, either

Reply to
charles

Untrained 20 somethings that haven't be told about contrast ratio's, colour combinations, serif v sans-serif fonts, etc. All basic publishing stuff, who said nothing is handed down any more, everything has to be (re)learnt making the same mistakes again and again.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I take your general point, but in that example I actually find the pages with blue background easer on the eye than the ones with a background and black text.

Reply to
Graham.

And, on-screen, at the scale I viewed it at, I agree that the white-on-purple is OK - but not the mauve-on-purple text. Though people can also be very different in how readable they find things.

Reply to
polygonum

And pleasingly reminiscent of WordPerfect :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nothing about WP has pleasant memories for me! :-)

Reply to
polygonum

On Monday 01 April 2013 08:47 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It does for me. WP 5.1 was the first decent wordprocessor I ever saw - and it was running on VAX/VMS. WP6.0 on Windows was a f*ck up though. Then it got worse.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Having seen and used various WP software/machines, I really got liked Word 2 and preferred it to any other WP I had then used - for my purposes.

A real pain switching from that to a very poor PC version of WP.

Reply to
polygonum

I used it running under KanjiTalk on a Mac ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain