OT clumsy shill bidding

ebay 390524781882

click on bids

click on "show automatic bids"

click on each of the two low feedback score bidders "fighting it out" whilst pushing the early bidder up.

see the changing of successive bid increments by +/- 50p trying to feel for the early bidders max bid?

flEabay indeed

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Jim K :

I haven't bothered to look at these bids but I will observe that in general, things would be lot simpler if people just bid their maximum and then sat back rather than fannying around upping their bids.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

mmm you don;t really get this do you?

Better to use a sniping service last thing.... as is shurely obvious, bidding early is dumb.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Indeed. You bid your maximum at the last minute. Anything else is for saps.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Depends. I often put in a minimum bid on something. If someone else gets it, then as a collector I'm just happy that someone has it and it hasn't ended up in the bin.

And there'll probably be another along next year.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Tim Streater writes

Other than making a single bid to prevent the seller from removing the item from sale.

Reply to
usenet2012

The way eBay auctions are run, that's true. I'm quite surprised they haven't experimented with different types of auction, e.g. a single sealed bid format, where no-ones' bid is revealed until the end, no point in people trying to create multiple accounts as they'd out-bid themselves, it would make genuine bidders *think* what they were willing to pay for an item, rather than see if they could sneakily get something cheap ... you only get a bargain if nobody else wants it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think I do.

True. I'd have mentioned bidding late if I thought it was relevant. There is a vague connection (but no more than that) in that if you bid

*very* late there's no time to up your bid. Using sniping software is a good idea if you're a frequent bidder and you're used to the software and you're keeping it up to date in line with changes to the eBay site. Otherwise a late manual bid might be more reliable.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

Since when did that ever stop anybody?

Reply to
Lobster

Yes but you won't want to top up your bid at that point - because that's when you *do* bid the maximum amount you're prepared to pay (assuming it's not already above that point); then win or lose you're guaranteed to be happy.

If you bid early, how can you *possibly* end up paying less than if you bid late?

Assuming I'm able to bid in the dying seconds, I would never bid more than once on an auction.

Reply to
Lobster

Actually I *never* want to top up my bid at any point, ever.

I *always* bid the maximum I'm prepared to pay. No exceptions.

I don't know why you're banging on about timing, which I agree is important, but I never mentioned it because it's not relevant to the point I was making. There are good reasons for bidding late, but sometimes it's not possible, and I bid early. Regardless of timing, I only bid once, I recommend that others do the same, and that's the (only) point I was making.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

If everyone bid once, early there'd be no need for late bids; but everyone doesn't so there is.

Reply to
Andy Burns

there was a point? I thought you were banging on about placing one highest bid ? the timing of when that is placed makes you a halfwit mug or a potential winner...

I suggest you look into "auctionsniper.com"

I have NEVER had to update anything in mumble years, so IME bidding late is not only ALWAYS possible, it's childsplay, why would anyone not?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I've noticed the Germans do that a lot, as well as a second bid to signal they want it, I suppose.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Agree I put my Maximum bid a sniping tool on my phone, and leave it at that, I win or I don't .... advantage is I don't get tempted to increase at last moment. With more & more people using sniping s/w ... there can be significant volume of bids in last 5 sec

Reply to
Rick Hughes

That was the point. The OP described a situation where bidders were "fighting it out". That's what I was responding to. If you only place one bid, there is no "fighting it out". *Regardless* of when you place that bid.

That's simplistic and irrelevant. There is no "fighting it out" if you only bid once, whether that bid is placed early or late. That's all I'm saying. Yes, timing is important, but it's not what I was talking about.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

also used by shillers using low start prices to save themselves listing fees "99p start" with an early/immediate covering bid, if no- one shows up by 25 hours before "auction" end there will regularly be another bid by same "bidder" to insure against the item going too cheap.

One can if one dares, push this covering bid up (like a shiller would). The shiller, naturally, will never pay for the goods and sale will be cancelled for some flaky reason and no-one will be any the wiser...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I am the OP.

I used quotes around "fighting it out" as (had you bothered to look - the fact that you couldn't be arsed frankly rather undermines all your "points") the "fighting it out" is clearly (to me anyway) false shill bidding.

*There is no "fight" in this instance*. The shill bidder(s) are pushing up the price of the early bidder - hence early bidding of a top price is for mugs/cretins.

It's true and entirely relevant to me.

Just to recap, your recommended strategy for ebay is:- bid once early and if you end up paying top price due to fraudulent bidding, that's OK with you? OK fine if that cranks your handle so be it.

You bid early & get shilled early = you are a mug. You snipe late, if you win, you possibly pay less than you were (technically) prepared to pay = winner, or you pay your max you know the market = winner. If you lose no worries, nothings lost.

Sniping "last thing" removes the potential for your bid being shilled to it's max - that's the whole entire point of all of this.

Simples

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Jim K :

No. I never recommended bidding early. If you think I did, please say where.

(Thanks for the recap, which explains the misunderstanding.)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Lobster writes

Have you sold anything on Ebay?

If you list something for sale by auction & no one has made a bid towards the end of the listing it is possible to end the listing early to avoid selling at a very low price. However if there has been a bid then you have to let the auction run its course.

Reply to
usenet2012