OT cat chewing cables

Probably won't have any effect. Daughters dog chewed the mains cable feeding the central heating a few years ago. It blew the fuse but had no effect on the dog apart from depositing the contents of its bowels on the floor. Didn't even deter it from going back and stripping off about

6 inches of insulation afterwards.
Reply to
Mike Clarke

A bowl of antifreeze works very well.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Sisal rope with catmint (napeta) on it, spelt wrong, but give the cat something to chew on.

If the cat continues chewing, check its teeth, there may be a foreign body or damaged tooth and the cable has the right consistency to provide temporary relief hence it keeps returning to the cable.

Reply to
js.b1

Had this problem with my cat - ruined a pair of really good earphones! I'm just very, very careful where I trail cables now, tuck them away, cover them over, and she's gradually grown out of it mostly. It's the thin, dangly black wires she likes. But I'm still careful.

For example, I have some big wine fermenting vessels with immersion heaters in the kitchen where she sleeps. I bought a big roll of gaffer tape cheap from Wickes, and taped off all the wire which trails down the sides of the vessels, and drape/wrap a towel over the extension lead, so, basically, she can't see the interesting thin black wires.

As for the back of the PC - which is an electrician's nightmare - she gets squired with a compressed air can "EVERY" time she goes anywhere near it - so she's fairly hesitant to go behind there now. She's not allowed in the lounge or my study unsupervised. Too many wires.

Combination of disguise, tucking away and hard discipline, I'm afraid!

Good luck! Barb

Reply to
Barb

Loop each cable round an eggcup on edge of worktop etc, with water in. Might work after a few goes, they really hate water.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

IME most cats are too stupid to learn. I regularly spray the neighbours' cats with a high powered water pistol but they still come into my garden.

And then there's the cat that used to sleep in the road. It didn't last long IIRC.

Reply to
Mark

You can get electric fence controllers in various outputs. The smaller ones are intended to deter cats. Connect each lead to each lead of a cable and leave it out. They learn eventually. It certainly taught my dog not to go near the rubbish bin after I wrapped the top with ally foil and left it energised.

John

Reply to
John

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mark saying something like:

My previous moggy had the anti-survival habit of crashing out for a good kip in the middle of any open space, which included the road. It didn't last long either, once the new neighbour's dogs got at it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Mr Pounder