OT carrier bag charge

Just noticed today that 5p in M&S buys a substantially stronger bag than they used to charge 5p for (M&S have been charging for big bags for some time).

This is more like the 1p bags Waitrose and Tesco did in the 70's

Reply to
Tim Watts

but charging each migrant 5p isn't going to solve that problem, is it?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

If we capped their benefits to that level, it might.

Reply to
Richard

If you give the 5p's to me, it'll solve my problems! :0

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do you decorate the outside of your wheelie bin with shit bought from the pound shop eg plastic insects at 2 for a quid?

Reply to
ARW

They're not, 2015 SI 776 refers to SUCBs (single use carrier bags)

"A SUCB means an unused bag made of lightweight plastic material with handles"

Reply to
Andy Burns

I noticed exactly the opposite was introduced last week at the local M&S. Their 5p green "save the fish" bags were quite strong (not quite bag for life thickness) they've now swapped to black and white chequerboard bags that are somewhere between the old green ones and a bog standard disposable bag.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Strange - we are definately looking at the same pair of bags - and IMHO the white ones seem tougher.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hambleton.

Reply to
Martin Brown

That's what I object to - where the 5p goes. This charge is a tax designed to change behaviour and as such should go to hard pressed local councils to provide better services. I do not like being charged a compulsory donation to so-called charities, large companies who enjoy tax perks and exemption from employment laws, claim to be "not-for-profit" when they are, pay chief executives more than the prime minister but expect their shop assistants to work for nothing and harass the vulnerable to extort money.

Reply to
bert

And to everyone in Wales and Scotland who says: "we've had this system for ages and no one notices".

Well, bollocks to you lot! This is England and we know how to eff something up.

Screwfix today: Collecting online order. Bloke says: sorry, I have to either empty it out the bad, or charge you 5p.

Charge me 5p, I said. So some amount of faffing about that took some minutes happened. Then he accidentally charged me for 2 bags. More faffing refunding.

That added a good 5 minutes to the transaction.

M&S - self service checkout. No bags. They'd hidden them.

It's all bollocks - I'm pissed off with it already.

Reply to
Tim Watts

ITYF however well founded your view you are in a very small minority.

The majority view is likely to be one that says the charge is palatable specifically because the money goes to charity instead of being a tax.

BICBW

tim

Reply to
tim.....

How does it being a Charity make it NOT 5p. Makes you wonder who's paying fopr teh bags, only 5p yes but it means I have to remmeber to take a bag each time, and buy bags which I wouldn;t have had to buy before.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Buy a bag for life, it's not rocket surgery.

Reply to
Bod

It doesn't

But the PP said he'd be happier about that 5p if it went to his local council rather than a charity.

That was the point I was answering

people who don't give a ****

Oh dear, what a problem to have (wanna swap - you can have the 185/130 BP instead if you like)

Doesn't life suck. As it goes on there will be an increasing amount of things that you have to buy that you didn't before

One day it will be incontinence pads, can't wait!

tim

Reply to
tim.....

And remember to insist on a new one each time you're in the store because "you've forgotten the old one"

That is how it works, isn't it?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Not with us. We have several ordinary strong shopping bags and they live in the boot of our car.

Reply to
Bod

As nearly all charities are a scam but few people understand this, I fear that you could be correct.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

+1
Reply to
ARW

shouldn't you be taking then into the shop with you?

tim

Reply to
tim.....