OT camera

would the lens from an old (15/20 years) canon eos650 perchance fit and work with a new digital canon?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Possibly. If it is Canon made, then yes. If Sigma or other make, you'll have to try it out. AF will be slower than a modern lens. Look here:

uk.rec.photo.misc is a better place to ask this. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yes, the old EOS EF lenses fit the newer cameras, the newer EF-S lenses will give severe (about 2/3 frame) vignetting if used on an old camera.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think the EF-S lenses may protrude further into the camera body too, and collide with the mirror of cameras designed for EF lenses.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Assuming it's a canon lens, yes it should be fine. All Canon EF (ie EOS fit) lenses fit all of the EOS cameras. Many of the digital EOS cameras have a less than full frame sensor so can also use EF-S lenses. A 15 year old lens will not be EF-S - it wouldn't fit an EOS650.

If it's not Canon then it's a bit more hit and miss. Certainly some of the older Sigma lenses don't work (some are upgradable but it needs to be a pretty good lens for that to make sense).

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Down to the chip in the sigma lenses, i found a 150 or so to 400mm sigma lense in a camera shop a few years ago, he was asking a really cheap price for it, it would have been about 700 quid new, so must have been very cheap to have got me interested.

but i had heard about sigma lenses playing up on the canon digital slr's, so nipped home and got my 350D, and tried the lense out on my camera body, someone else had been in after it whilst i was getting my camera, he had a film camera and was on his way to get it to see if it protruded back too far....

put the lense on the body, all seemed fine, it focused at all zoom levels, had the zoom i wanted, then i pressed the shutter, and up came the darm 'error 99' code, the lense wouldent operate it's apeture motor, so refused to let the camera take a photo.

i was most dissapointed, bloke in the shop phoned sigma up to see if the chip could be upgraded, it could, but at a cost more than he was selling the lens for!!! if it were a couple of grand lens then it would have been cost effective i guess.

i found out later that i could have used the lens in full manual mode on my camera, but it's not that often i want to do that, and i have an ancient zenit manual everything camera with a selection of fixed lenses that goes upto 600mm,

instead i got a 1.7X teleconverter, avoiding sigma brands (got a jessops one off fleabay for 10 quid) and use that with my 200mm zoom to give me roughly the same zoom level i wanted (the 200mm lens is not an S lens, so there's that 1.4 times thingy to add to the focal lengths.

Reply to
gazz

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Peter" saying something like:

Generally, all EOS film lenses will work with all digital EOSs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Fwiw its possible to use all sorts of assorted lenses on all sorts of cams if you make a suitable mount, and accept manual operation and occasionally reduced field of vision.

NT

Reply to
NT

Wikipedia is very informative on the subject.

is a start. I'm a Nikon F man, so I don't know about any others. With Nikon there are lots of old lenses to choose from, with varying functionality. The manual for your body will give you clues as to which work 100%, have limited but useful functionality and those which may cause damage to lens and/or body.

Reply to
Part timer