OT - 4x4 automatic car.

I am not planning on driving at speed on a race track and I don't want a car that does that. In this country the top speed limit is 70 mph - and that is not obligatory, its the maxim um on our ( so called?) best roads.

I want a car that will do rural and urban roads well, not one that speeds round Silverstone , with everyone going in the same direction . Even they have accidents and make errors and some of them die

I don't want to be a car crash victim myself. I want to go out and get home safely.

I would take the advice given by one poster to not go out unless I know I can get back or what I will do if I cannot get back but it isn't an option. I have nowhere at all to go if I go out and cannot get back ( except the car). My employer demands I go out or lose my job. But that's life isn't it?

Reply to
sweetheart

In your arrogant, pompous, incorrect opinion, maybe.

Reply to
Huge

On a roundabout I've suffered from the unexpected changedown at slow speeds: approach at maybe 40, slowing down to 20 or 30 on the curve (depending on the radius of the roundabout), applya bit of power to accelerate from 20/30 in whatever gear it's currently in (maybe top gear in an older auto that doesn't change down as you slow down) and it drops into what feels like first - way too far.When you get the sudden burst of power, instinct is to back off the accelerator, which causes it to change back up and you go from excessive acceleration to virtually none. Hitting the happy medium is an art that I never reliably and reproducably achieved in several huundred miles of driving in the various autos I've driven.

In a modern auto I'd probably knock the gear lever into manual just before I needed to accelerate, so it holds the current gear, maybe changing down just

*one* gear manually if necessary, then once I've finished accelerating I'd change back to fully auto mode.

But maybe modern autos are a bit more intelligent and don't need cossetting like this. I can only speak for the technology that was current in 2002 because that damned Focus auto (the 50-mph-in-any-gear one!) is the most recent auto that I'd driven.

Reply to
Mortimer

That is, dearest, the whole point of doing it.

Or had that escaped you?

No, you don't. in a manual you heel and toe the brake and the accelerator and double de-clutch simultaneously while changing gear. That's the way to be kindest to the gearbox and clutch, and if you are good, you don't even need the clutch at all once you are rolling.

However that's way beyond the skill level of most drivers, so they never mention it.

hats because most autos are driven by very average drivers, and the theory is, if they wanted to go fast or understood anything about it, they wouldn't have bought an auto.

Well I dont subscribe to that, because I reckon I am pretty capable though not as good as I was, and I drive an auto. And a manual.

But you are'well on te ay to demonstrating that you really don't understand what a gearbox, and engine a clutch or a car really is. Theres no shame in that, until you start laying down the law to those who do.

That is inexcusable.

What you rote learned to drive a car safely, is not the best way. Its the simplest way that demands the least from the driver, that wont wreck the car.

Poor unwashed masses don't drive Ferraris and Porsches.

But its true to say that since an aut spas about 30bhp, you need a bigger more expensive engine to get acceptable performance.

So the shopping trolleys are built for cheapness and economy, and they tend not to have autos for that reason.

I remember a remark a Jaguar salesman made to me 'most of our customers run out of bravery long before a jaguar runs out of grip' After I complained to him that the XKR I had just test driven had an annoying habit of lifting its rear inside wheel on a hard corner..;-)

Sad day when they abandoned LSD's...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Now why is it that those who took their test in a manual car got a licence that allowed them to drive an auto while those who took the test in an auto after June 1969 are only allowed to drive autos unless they first pass another test in a manual car?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

No car I have ever driven auto or manual has such a device.

Earthmoving kit yes, but that's hydraulic transmission.

And my ride on lawnmower.

Are you thinking of cruise control?

Ot just confusing the torque converter with something else?

I overheated my jag torque converter. But that was an hour getting out of a show car park. In hot summer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok so far.

so I have learned what is right on this matter for an automatic.

Total non sequitur.

That proves nothing. Yu would also fail your test if you exceeded the speed limit.

Even the MOT admits that the test is not to ensure you can drive well, merely to eliminate those who manifestly cannot drive at all.

If you want to learn to drive WELL, and cant take it from us, go and take the IAM course. Its pretty good as far as I can tell. I always meant to but when I looked at what they taught 90% of it I knew by then anyway so I never did.

You

Cant accuse me of that. I drive both. I like autos, I accept their limitations and have found ways to overcome most of them, especially in a 5 speed manual override box like the freelander..

Perhaps YOU need to experience a truly modern automatic. And take an IAM course.

Or perhaps you think you know it all already. How like a man! :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's it - that's it! Now you're getting it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Like dribble, anything harry posts is 90%+ chance of being completely wrong.

Germans switch to M&S tyres usually on narrower rimmed wheels in the winter. Studs are used when there is sheet ice. The rally boys will use them on mixed snow and ice too, but they rip the tyres to shreds on any tarmac. They are strictly for ice alone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

..said the man in the two man bob sleigh :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agree

I disagree. LSD is better than diff lock.

Agree

Agree. Buy a land rover.

take a spade a blanket and some sand, coffee and food.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes an no. MPG is still crappier.

Ideally a 2WD for on road and summer,. 4WD for everything else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Right. so you're not capable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd be interested in the cost of a set of winter steels with M&S for the freelandy..anyone know where to start looking?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. Same as many others - or based on what their father said. But things move on.

'60s autos were based on those made for US cars with vast engines producing a lot of torque but little power. Hence being three - or even 2 speed. With the torque convertor making up the gaps.

Most modern autos have at least 5 forward gears.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Arrogant bollocks - you don't know what you're talking about. I've driven automatics for over 45 years and have always used both feet, but I can switch to a manual with no trouble at all. (and I've never had an accident)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Every auto I've ever had has the ability to select and hold a gear. Including '60s ones. The first auto I was ever driven in was a '50s Jag. That had a switch on the dash marked 'intermediate hold' This locked it totally in second gear. Allowing easier starts on slippery surfaces by reducing the torque to the driven wheels.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I drive both and left foot brake on an auto. Having to operate the clutch is different enough for braking not to confuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)