Op's Not Posting Replies

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a number of postings where assistance is requested and given but the OP never comes back to make any further comment .A bit rude that is it not .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I think so.

On a group to which I contribute more than this one, people will come on asking 'if anyone has a phone number for so and so' rather than just looking in the phone book.

As newsgroup access gets more mainstream via Google and so on, people see it as a 'free' service like the NHS. They don't understand or care how it ticks.

Sign o' the times, I'm afraid.

Reply to
david thorpe

I'm an intermittent user of uk.d-i-y, I reckon a good approach is after posting a question to hunt around for anything else I can answer, so there's a few replies for every question posted.

I find I don't post feedback to my old questions though, as they tend to be rather dead topics before I've got anything useful to feedback (i.e I've actually done the job!).

Reply to
dom

Don't entirely agree (but I know what you mean). I tend to reply only if there is something s else to contribute. I do however feel the need to say "thanks" (genuinely) - but really it is a wob when thousands of people do it so don't always just for that reason - not intended to be rude or unappreciative.

Actually a bit OT but things I find rude are replies (sarcastic) to shall we say, the more obvious or mundane things. Yes they should look in the faq and do own web searches first - but there are diy beginners out there and people who know a lot about A but not B or perhaps are out of touch with the latest things. This ng is probably one of the best out there and it doesn't help to discourage people who might contribute to other things later. If you want an example of how this *may* occur try posting a query about electrical earthing :-) Just mho anyway

Reply to
Dave

It doesn't encourage generous responses.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I know exactly what you mean Dave .I was just reading a reply a few minutes ago that I thought was downright ill mannered . You actually replied to it as well saying as much ..lol Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I tend to agree with you.

It's unsatisfactory but a post which says only "Thank You" and quotes the OP and the reply is seen by many people as unwelcome noise.

For this reason I tend not to post back to a thread I started unless I have something of value to say..

Reply to
Andy

I find that very rude, even if it is just a "thanks all " all the way to a "I found technique X for doing Y was the best" it is (IMHO) worth posting, a lot of the time I am not asking how to do something (that's what I feel faqs etc. are for) but rather an 'opinion' on what people see as the "best" way to do something, the "thanks all" is a minimum but a "I used technique X because" often helps someone who wanted to ask the same or similar. There are times (very few) when I feel I can answer a question I would appreciate a "thank you" or even a "well everyone knows that and anyway that is not what I was aking about" to let me know my idea has been seen and used or discarded.

Reply to
soup

I know what you mean mate!

Did Ronnie ever sort his driveway? Did Sean lay his floorboards? Did Martin ever find his brass fittings? What about Pen and the strange boat electrics? Did Tims pigeons go away? Has Dave bought a cheap SDS? Did David ever buy his sliding mitre saw?

I'd just love to know!!!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, not everyone. It's better to err on the side of courtsey.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes!! you'r right, sometimes there are so many solutions offered by different contributors, I would love to know which solution was tried and the results. I think it's useful feedback to know which was the successful method, materials or technique. Donwill

Reply to
Donwill

I have been guilty of this in the past, meaning to post back in a couple of days after the job is done. However that part of it gets delayed indefinitely due to a lack of round tuits...

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The adage "You can't please all the people all the time" applies here. When I wrote to thank peeps for help I had several irate replies that I was wasting peoples time, so I rarely do it now. However I do agree that when a problem has several possible answers posted it is useful to know which solution was applied and if it worked.

Reply to
Broadback

Yes, this type of reply is especially annoying if you find the OP whilst searching Google groups and the answer you find is "Read the FAQ" or "Try Google".

ETV

Reply to
Eric The Viking

It's nice to get a bit of feedback to gauge the success, or otherwise, of any advice. I think 'thanks, I did it this way and it worked (or didn't)' helps everyone. When it's a couple of weeks or more later then a separate thread is usually a good idea, my threads certainly expire after 10days.

Reply to
fred

Exactly the same here. Also, I try not to create too much noise over signal, and a thank-you with nothing else to say isn't really "signal", although I'm open to suggestions to the contrary.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Pre-empt the gratitude in the original question: sign off with "Thanks in advance".

Mungo (just a guilty of unintentional ingratitude as others here ;-)

Reply to
Mungo

I've never had that response.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Pen here, and I'm still thinking about the boat. At the least I'm going to replace the sockets where I plug in the kettle and the hairdryer for standard "Euro" ones - the boat is kept in Spain and if we need to replace an appliance I'm sure we'll buy locally. Certainly the replies to my original query reinforced my fears that US sockets weren't up to the job (thanks guys). But we have a more pressing problem with the main circuit breaker which is prone to trip without cause, so I'll wait until that's sorted by a real electrician before I start playing around with the wiring.

Reply to
pen

Yes, but this is Usenet, and the Internet, and it runs itself in a truly democratic fashion.

People who are habitual takers will find themselves ignored if they continue.

On many threads, I have just one thing to say, I say it, and ignore the thread thereafter.

Very few threads hold my interest..so if people take my advice, and thank me, or not, really isn't an issue.

If I wasn't prepared to do it for free I wouldn't be doing it at all.

Complaining about Usenet is a total waste of a life. It is what it is, take it or leave it, and the only bit you can change is your own postings.

With that.. I shall leave this thread.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher