On Topic .. sort of diy .. TV Senders ?

We need a TV sender to just transmit Tv/Sky only, to another room. Can anyone give a reccomendation fora particular sender ? Cheewrs

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

In article , Mike P scribeth thus

No not really you'd best try it and see, they share the same frequencies as Microwave ovens and wi-fi points and such. Sometimes OK some times not bit if a how long is a bit of string;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I've used one I got from Argos for the last couple of years. The brand name is Digisender.

It worked great for me. The distance from sender to receiver was only 4 or

5 yards, but the signal would have had to go diagonally through a wall containing a chimney (i.e. double-thickness bricks at least).. (er.. unless it went round it!) The receiver has an infra-red catcher which relays your Sky controller presses to the sender, which has an infra-red emitter which sends the info to the Sky box. Again, works great.

As we are having major building works at the moment and needed to sort TVs out in a wider context we now have the Sky box connected up to a special amplifier/distributor system the aerial installer fitted, which distributes Sky, as well as the terrestrial aerial signal through the built in coax cable to each room, so we've stopped using the Digisender. If you can get this done it would be a better option. The coax was already in the wall, but the cost for 8 rooms, a new digital aerial on the roof and the Sky amplifier/distributor in the loft was ~£350, which I thought was very reasonable. (Though a Digisender would be cheaper!)

By comparison, I would say that the Digisender does provide a less sharp picture than our new installation, but perfectly watchable. Also, you have to be carefull with 'bodies' or metal furniture near the sender - Mrs. B causes terrible interference when she sits in front of the transmitter! However, we generally managed to work around this and the Digisender was absoutely fine provided we were aware of its limitations in this area.

The other thing I noticed when using a wifi laptop is the occasional short interference on the Digisender signal. Only once every few seconds, and only when the laptop was operating in an area where, presumably, the Digisender signal had to pass through the wifi signal.

Bottom line - well worth a go. If you buy it from Argos and it doesn't work for you you can always take it back for a full refund within x days, so you cannot lose!

Hope this helps!

Pete

Reply to
Peter Boulton

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:30:05 -0000, "Peter Boulton" head down on the keyboard, banged out this message:

.. xx> Mike P

Thanks Pete .. spot on .. will try Argos

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P