Old bath taps

Our original bath - 1930s - has taps which fit into the straight end of the cast iron, the pipes go behind it of course.
The taps are brass and chromium plated although the chrome is wearing. That's not a problem.
Recently the taps are showing signs of internal wear in that they don't turn off fully. Spouse has replaced jumpers and washers and everything else but any running repairs only seems to last for a few weeks. My increasingly arthritic hands already find it difficult to deal with turning the taps.
I'd like to replace the taps - with identical ones. I've been told that such taps are now illegal because in theory (although it would be impossible unless the overflow were blocked) bath water could go up the taps and into the supply. They are therefore not available. Is this right?
I don't want mixer taps, I don't want taps which come from the 'wall' at the end of the bath, I don't want taps which fit on the rim of the bath. I just want to replace the existing taps with something similar to the originals.
Has anyone any ideas, please?
Mary

Don't know where to get new ones, but if new washers don't last long it sounds as if the seats are a bit dodgy. You can buy (or hire?) seat-cutting tools which just might give the existing taps a new lease of life.
[Not sure how spouse changing his jumper was supposed to help!<g>]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

In case that (or hire?) sounds a bit intimidating, I bought mine ages ago with several differnt size cutters and threads (for seating in tap body) for only a few quid - I can't recomember how much. but it was of the fiver area
mike r

I didn't see this post but thanks, Spouse has said something about doing that ...

That's interesting too. I'll tell him. although he might have some lurking in the dark recesses from his plumbing days :-)
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Seat cutting has already been mentioned, other sources may include reclamation yards and Ebay.

"Mary Fisher" wrote | My increasingly arthritic hands already find it difficult to | deal with turning the taps.
Capstan tap turner from Arthritis Research Campaign http://www.arc.org.uk/newsviews/arctdy/104/arthaids.htm http://www.arc.org.uk/about_us/shops.htm
Owain

Thanks for that suggestion, Spouse is going to make a lever for me.
Has been for about three years ... :-)
Mary

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "Owain" wrote | > | My increasingly arthritic hands already find it difficult to | > | deal with turning the taps. | > Capstan tap turner from Arthritis Research Campaign | > http://www.arc.org.uk/newsviews/arctdy/104/arthaids.htm | > http://www.arc.org.uk/about_us/shops.htm | Thanks for that suggestion, Spouse is going to make a lever for me. | Has been for about three years ... :-)
I had a father like that.
Perhaps printing out several copies of the web page and leaving them around the house marked "Dear Santa" and "Ideal Stocking Filler" might have an effect?
Owain

around
They'd just get passed on to the house manager.
Guess who that is ...
Mary

the
turn
such
the
just
This any good ?
http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/diy/webpages/308_309.htm
You can also get tap refurbishing kits from the plumbers merchants or DIY stores, which consist of just the innards with a new head, but you don't have to use the head if you don't want to.
. I

originals.
Thanks, Spouse has already done that. Twice.

That might be useful, I'll loook into it.
Mary

IHello Mary
The taps I think you mean are called Globe Taps. If you enter that in Google you'll find quite a choice available. This style from Bristan for instance:
http://www.showerright.co.uk/1901_globe_taps.jpg

Someone else might know more about this but I would assume they're OK, particularly if you don't have mains-fed taps. Surely they wouldn't sell them otherwise.
Peter

the
Google
instance:
Not exactly, but that sort of thing. Another avenue to explore.

such
them
I didn't think they did ...
The cold tap is mains-fed, the hot from the multipoint heater.
Thanks,
Mary

the
turn
such
the
just
Hi Mary,
These any good?
http://www.redburg.co.uk/baths/bristan/RS_GLO.asp
Cheers Clive

but
into
originals.
They're very nice aren't they!
A bit pricy but worth considering, thanks. I'll put it to him.
He does have a say on occasions. Trouble is, he'll probably think it's a slur on his manhood ... :-)
Perhaps I could put a pair in his stocking? Hmm.
Mary