Oil filter change in old car - how often?

Scrub that. Looks like it's only a single speed box.

said, I'm sure that Top Gear said it had a two speed box and they could have been wrong could they?? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I see Morrisons are selling two Carlube "fully synthetics". Both are API SN. Some old stock maybe SM. The 4w-40 is £20 for 4 litres while the 5w-30 "long life" oil is £22. There is no reason for no using a fully synthetic.

Carlube is independent, not owned by Esso like Comma. They make oil for Texaco, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda and all. Carlube is part of the Tetrosyl group which includes Bluecol, Carplan and a few others.

Many dealers use Carlube in services. Carlube is excellent oil. Not the best, liker say Millers, but the quality is there and the price.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Indeed; the Hunter was another engine-oil box.

As does the MT75 box in Fords, iirc.

Also, I have a feeling that the typical 'EP80 or EP90' g'box oils aren't actually showing the viscosity on the package. I can't be utterly sure of that, but I observed that EP90 doesn't flow anything like as thickly as I'd expected and suspect there's something else at play.

Reply to
grimly4

Top Gear are knobs

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It was the CV joints - I know, I was there. A mate of mine was so used to doing them on his rally car he reckoned about ten minutes a side or somesuch. They were shit, though.

Also, talking of CV joints, the ones on the Imps were dreadful - especially aftermarket ones. Iirc, there was a fix for that; making sure the replacement was from a particular source.

Reply to
grimly4

The CV joints did go quickly. A knocking sound on full lock. The beefed up

850s burnt out at g/box end as well when beefed up. That is whay the Cooper was fines as it had the beefier BMC 1100 setup.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you up the output of any engine in any car there's the likelihood transmission components will fail. CV joints are no exception. The gearbox internals were also replaced with a different design in competition Minis. Very obvious by the whine as they passed the Jags. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quickly? The day after the car was new? They were perfectly capable of doing high miles on the standard vehicle provided the rubber boots were replaced as soon as any splits etc appeared.

The inner joints were originally rubber cruciform. Easily replaced with needle roller types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please pay attention. The point is boy-racing the engine.

Cooper and 1100 had different to 850.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not a term I'm familiar with. Is that painting white stripes on it?

They were different in all sorts of ways. Including engine output. So just how is it relevant?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All Jag drivers whine. I speak from experience.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, they do go faster. They can stick on and a very cheap way of getting a fast racing car.

You really don't get it. Stick to your stipes and fake bullet holes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

straight cut box eh? take the punishment but dish it back out in the audio band..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The narrower banding should mean an absence of viscocity improvers, this is how synthetic oils should be, as they are then what is termed shear-stable.

If I was choosing today, I'd pay the other =A32 and go with the "long life". Oils without v.i.'s work so much better.

Reply to
thirty-six

Yes, suspect, hence the reason why the use of straight synthetics has been recommended for gearbox oil. As =A344 for a couple of cans of the Morrisons stuff is less than a tankful of fuel, where can you go wrong?

Reply to
thirty-six

It might only be one speed, but isn't there some kind of gearing? Or do the motors always connect directly to the wheels? There must be diffs etc too.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Oddly enough probably the best way to do a leccy car (if not the cheapest) is to have a multipole 'pancake' hub motor on each wheel.

In some ways that is in fac cheap as well as there is no transmission: And ABS style sensing and feedback will stop gross wheelspin on a single wheel - although due to the way leccy motors work, that does NOT rob power from the rest.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Puts some weight directly over the wheels too.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Which isn't a good thing as this would be unsprung weight.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Not where you want it though. Sprung weight is preffered.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher