Odd question...

That accords with what Lurch said it might cost at the top end of the market. Thanks.

Reply to
Karen

If it's London, I'm afraid 150 for an eight hour day is anything but the top end of the market.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just as well it's not London then, isn't it. I'm rather thankful that I shook its dust from my shoes twenty years ago. I'm in no hurry to return, either.

Reply to
Karen

It's not like CORGI. Even after the new regulations come in, there is no requirement for the contractor to be registered. It is just that they won't have the exemption to sign off the building regulations notice and you'll have to get the BCO round, who will swear a lot at all the ridiculous bureaucracy of it all.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

30 per hour * 1720 (average hours per year) = 51600 per year (before expences/tax). 2500 hours is easilly possible, which is 75 grand a year.

Time for me to change jobs I think ..........

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Sounds good. But remember a jobbing tradesman will not have continuous employment, and will also have a fair amount of work that can't be charged for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is the typical calculation that many employees (= permies) do and get the idea that anyone earning "£30/hour" must be knee deep in money.

It's not true!

Firstly it's unlikely that an electrician or plumber or similar will be getting that £30/hour for 40 hours/week throughout the year.

Secondly there are the odd incidental expenses which have to come out of that income:- Running a vehicle probably Tools etc. Insurance Books, education, whatever

Thirdly there are things like holidays, sick leave, etc. which you don't get paid for when you're not an employee.

I'm a Software Engineer, I used to be a contractor on £35+/hour, now I'm permanent on a bit over £40k and it feels to me like I'm significantly better off now than I was before.

Reply to
usenet

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:46:30 GMT, Rick Dipper strung together this:

Er, yes well. I'm not going to tell you how much I am on but I don't get 75k a year. Think you need to have a look at your figures a bit more closely.

Reply to
Lurch

Yup. And I'm freelance, so only really sell my body. ;-) And some jobs pay the hourly rates bandied about here. But the chances of getting continuous employment are remote - especially now so many new people have come into the industry to fill what was undoubtedly a gap. Plumbers beware. The lead time to train people for an industry where skilled personnel are in short supply and command a premium can be several years, but when it is satisfied the rates will tumble.

The true professions like lawyers, etc, know this and regulate numbers by fair means or foul.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote | Plumbers beware. The lead time to train people for an industry | where skilled personnel are in short supply and command a premium | can be several years, but when it is satisfied the rates will tumble. | The true professions like lawyers, etc, know this and regulate numbers | by fair means or foul.

I'm sure the various plumbers' organisations are considering their positions and given the amount of cash-in-hand plumbing work goes on the govt will probably view the idea of Part P For Plumbers favourably. On safety grounds of course.

Owain

Reply to
Owain