Odd battery connection.

Was asked to look at some re-chargeable cordless headphones a pal has which needed new batteries.

Standard AAA cell - but the housing was different to normal, the negative contact, which went to the side, rather than bottom, of the cell. The originals having the sleeve cut off short to allow this.

And I've no idea why - apart to make it more difficult for user replacement. Unless to prevent using alkaline?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Shaves a few millimetres off the length of the battery compartment so the overall?

PS IMLE a "cap" of kitchen foil can be an alternative to shaving the side of the battery - especially when just lending someone batteries!

Reply to
Robin

My mother had something like that @30 years ago, most of her stuff was Panasonic and probably it was a portable CD player.

Memory is rusty but the original rechargeable batteries had the side contact but if they were discharged ordinary primary cells could be used with no chance of the user trying to charge them by mistake as the charging was done inside the player. Now you could also use externally charged rechargeable instead of primaries but they were not very common for the ordinary consumer then.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Oh yes - I'd forgotten about in-device charging and guarding against consumers trying to charge Alkaline.

Reply to
Robin

Well not std then, Panasonic had them as a HHR-4AH

Since my other post I got curious and see they are sill obtainable just if this supplier really does have them

if you want to replace the originals as is.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Fush moi. 5 quid a cell for AAAs. ;-) See why now they did this.

Removing the bottom part of the sleeve from Lidl ones has done the job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)