O.T. Heart valve choices

I wouldn't want that either, although I can only affect the probability of needing insulin, whereas I have a choice about the Warfarin.

That, of course, is part of the dilemma.

I hope they won't just abandon me and that they check on it from time to time. However, it should go much the same way the original one has, which is a slow deterioration.

Thank you

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Oh yes you can....! (See my other post.)

I guess you could have something

I think they chomp away at the old one with a nibbler device and then hoover up the bits down the catheter.

David

Reply to
Lobster

My best wishes to him. He should be in the out of hospital but still aching stage by now, I presume.

I have very mixed feelings about doing too much research. I have the BBC 2 programme about heart surgery on hard drive, but I'm not sure I want to watch it until after the event.

Thank you. Now I know what it is called, I can keep an eye on it. I got the impression that the consultant thought it would be developed into a standard technique. The history of heart surgery has always been that the new techniques are first tried out on those with nothing to lose and later refined to become almost routine treatments. If this problem had been detected half a lifetime ago, nobody would have been considering surgery to correct it.

Thank you

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Initially it may be every couple of weeks, but after a while the dose of warfarin will be stable and you'd only need blood tests every 6 weeks or possibly longer.

Reply to
Fredxx

A close relative takes warfarin - his tests are generally every 4 weeks, unless the reading is 'off' - in which case the dose is adjusted and he's checked again in 2 weeks, to make sure the adjustment is correct.

You need to be careful with foods containing vitamin K - if you normally eat such foods several times a week, and then stop, your warfarin dose will need to be dropped - likewise, if you suddenly _start_ eating quantities of such foods, your warfarin dose will need to be increased.

Reply to
S Viemeister

What a tough choice. The surgery itself is a doddle, lie about for a day or two, chatting away.Take a pre-med, pass out for several hours and then come around to the undivided attentions of all and sundry. Easy. It's the relatives who suffer all the stress. Warfarin levels are carefully monitored for you by your friendly local phlebotomist via blood samples and tests. But, taking Warfarin affects your whole lifestyle, even down to whether you can eat chocolate or not! I've been on 150mg of aspirin daily for years. I know which I'd rather swallow. Good luck whichever you decide but don't worry about the operation itself, that's the simple bit.

Reply to
Harry

Colin, my (late) wife had a mechanical valve fitted in 1999 and while it is true that it can be heard 'ticking' it is only in very quiet rooms ( i.e. bed time ) and you and those around you soon get used to it.

Warfarin isn't really going to make any difference to your lifestyle, the initial period after surgery is going to see you having (probably) weekly blood tests while they get your INR in range. Once they are happy with it you will go to monthly, then bi-monthly etc. This will be exactly the same for aspirin.

Aspirin takers usually have greater periods in between checks but, IMHO better to have someone keeping a close eye on things.

You also have no idea what state your health will be in in the future, if you go the pig valve route now you may not find a surgeon willing to touch you come replacement time.

The only word of warning for you would be that if you go the mechanical route be careful of junior doctors in hospitals as the complexities of mechanical valves can sometimes be lost on them as they decide it would be a good idea to order an MRI for you ;)

Good luck, whatever you choose.

KK

Reply to
Kaptain Kremin

Harry wrote: [snip]

General anaesthetic a doddle ?

Maybe subjectively (but probably not), but objectively it's always a big challenge to the body.

Reply to
Fergus O'Rourke

I ended up in cardiac rehab as a result of the incident that lead to this being detected (it is asymptomatic)*. I met a couple of people there who had had heart valve replacements and they said much the same. Operation, no memory of much of the next couple of days and home in less than a week (although they were told to expect 7-10 days in hospital). According to the doctor who gave me the news, I am unusually calm about the prospect of having cardiac surgery, but I did promise to worry if she could convince me it would make any difference. Besides, my partner is doing enough worrying for the both of us.

  • Arrhythmia and a heart rate of 240bpm, which is still not properly explained. It was initially assumed to be a heart attack, but there is no obvious damage and the angiogram showed completely clear arteries, which is not unexpected with a cholesterol level of 2.3.

The more I hear, the less I like Warfarin, especially the bit about chocolate :-)

Fortunately I'm having it done at Southampton General, which someone I know in the business tells me is second only to Harefield for cardiac treatments.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 00:36:55 +0100, Lobster had this to say:

Nah - an angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I don't particularly like having to have blood tests once a year, even though the practice nurse who does them is very good at it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar.me.uk>" The consultant clearly told me that I would only need to take either

Hmm.. maybe the flaps are dead and don't produce a reaction?

Reply to
dennis

Ahh, yes.. bread.. the reason why warfarin doesn't kill rats in the wild as they eat the bread put out for the birds which stops the warfarin killing them.

Reply to
dennis

"nightjar.me.uk>" I don't particularly like having to have blood tests once a year, even

Its a thumb prick not a jab if that's any help.

The little sample goes into a machine and out pops the result.

Its a bit like diabetes testing but the machines aren't intended for home use.

Reply to
dennis

To address Swarfmaker's post

I've had 2 valves in the past (the original owners no longer needed them and they don't cremate well)

One was metal cage and ball, chunky and probably one of the earliest models. This certainly clicked (in the air without liquid to damp the movement) but is only as noisy as that carriage clock in the corner of the room, you get used to it fairly quickly I would think.

The second was more modern and slightly smaller (smaller patient or different valve) and still had a metal cage and a (silicone type) ball that could be prised out. Very bouncy and quite dense. I'm sure that would make more of a thud than a click.

Whatever you decide, Good luck John

Reply to
JTM

Do watch the most recent episode of "Blood and Guts"

- it's about the history of surgery and the last one on heart surgery was fascinating. I'm sure you'll find it reassuring - and grateful your surgery will be in the 21st century and not much earlier.

There was a lovely quote from the son of one of the pioneer surgeons - something like: "The first fourteen patients he operated on all died. Of the next fourteen ten died. Of the next fourteen two died. Of the next fourteen all survived. The good thing is that the first three groups were animals and the last group were all human".

Reply to
Reentrant

"nightjar .me.uk>" > Warfarin levels

Wait until you hear about the problems with alcohol!

Actually, you can drink alcohol and take warfarin, my uncle did it for years but I think if you're going to drink it, you need to be consistent as changes in you drinking habits can affect your blood warfarin levels (it's metabolised by the liver).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

nightjar I'm not going in for DIY heart surgery, although I did know a chap who

I have no advice to offer, but I will wish you the best of luck whichever you choose!

Reply to
John Rumm

Physically obviously, I was talking about stress. We patients, if not in pain etc, have little to fret over whereas the family/friends and so on have to wait, and wait and wait while you're in. I've had more stressful drives to work then sitting in bed, reading and waiting the heart op.

Reply to
Harry

The standard blood drawing may not be necessary - with the proper equipment, a fingerstick drop of blood will do - rather like diabetic testing.

Reply to
S Viemeister