Newbie - removing paing from concrete wall

Hi there,

I went to start painting my kitchen, but noticed a bit of the old pain was peeling off and underneath the concrete wall was revealed.

I thought I better get this off and before you know it 80% of the paint has been removed to down to the wall with just using a scraper. However the remaining 20% seems very hard to get off with a scraper and sanding it just seems impossible.

Therefore,

1) What should I use go get the remaining paint (patchy) of the walls. I want to make it as easy as possible and doing so will give me a nice even concrete surface to start on.

2) What should I use to undercoat the wall before I paint it so that my once pain goes on without a hitch (I imagine not good to paint right on to concrete)? I used Dulux plaster sealer on the ceiling and then a coat of One coat and it worked very well).

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Reply to
David Smithz

Concrete? Is it pink (plaster)?

The 80:20 rule strikes again.

If it's that well stuck on, removing it is probably more trouble that it's worth.

What are you painting it with? Emulsion? If so, use emulsion as the first coat, possibly thinned - you need to find out why the original didn't adhere, though. It might've been poor paint, or the plaster (?) may've been excessively polished. Try a patch, let it dry, and see how it holds on.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No it's grey. Council flats built in probably about the 60's if that's any help, but deinetly a grey stone of some kind (not bricks (but I assum bricks underneath, but really don't know). the other side of the wall is a bedroom.

I kind of hoped that initial, but the level differened on where the paint remains and does not is quite different.

I was definitely planning on using a Dulux or similar "One Coat" paint as I rate them. But they do say on bare walls use an appropriate sealer first. I followed that on ceiling - use plaster sealer first - worked a treat. No specific advice on "concrete" walls.

Cheers for input.

Reply to
David Smithz

an angle grinder with wire cup brush makes very short work of old paint. You'll wonder why you wasted all that time with a scraper. Only for hardsurfaces though, dont try it on plaster! Just run it over gently, job done.

As for pre-paint sealing, piss coats etc, all a traditional waste of time. Far easier and quicker to put a coat of water on, give it a few minutes to sink in, then paint the wall. Do this and sealer just isnt needed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Burn it off with a heat gun and a wire brush.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

=================== 'Nitormors' (or an own brand equivalent from Focus etc) should do the job quite nicely. It's rather unpleasant stuff to use but very effective. The smell is marginally less nasty than burning paint but it doesn't linger so long.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero