newbie: plastering.

Excuse my ignorance but I will shortly be having a room plastrered 3 of the 4 walls, will, I think just need reskimming. The other is currently bare brick.
Can/Will the plasterer just plaster directly onto the brick or will I have to fit plasterboard 1st?
Many thanks.
Kevin

I would use either:
Browning or bonding and skim with plaster or use universal one coat. -- Regards, Martin
thanks very much.

brixton mcfarlane wrote:
<snip>

...guess that just about sums up DIY in general ;-)

If you get it wrong the plasterer will not be at all happy. He coud plasterboard the wall for you in an hour or so if you have the materials there. Do you know how to fireproof the pbd? Have you got a Darby or good straight edge to get the line right? And how are you going to plumb it up?
Consulting costs nothing does it? Remember he can do it 5 times faster than you and it will be right. What will you be saving?
    rich_ard snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Rich) writes:

Or book yourself on a plastering course. I went from being completely useless at it to being better than the professional plasterers I hired in just 2 days. It took a while longer to get up to their speed. I'm getting even better as I do more of it too. Not done a ceiling yet though (and the one I really need to do is, of course, over the stairwell;-)
--
Andrew Gabriel

Might be a stupid questio, but where do you go about getting on a plastering course? The local college? I thought the shortage of people like plasterers, plumbers, etc meant that the colleges could not even get lecturers?
(Rich) writes:

rich_ard snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Rich) wrote in message

You use the bonding to create firewalls.

In which case he should do the whole job. If it goes pear shaped he can take it all down and let the pro's do it.
Put the firewalls where the use of fixtures is most likely and you should be all right with dado and pictures etc. It's not a skilled job but does require a lot of nous.
Shelving isn't really a good idea but it can be done with those snails or toggles. I would use Grip Fill as well.

Sorry but I disagree. If you are getting a plasterer in, leave him to do this. You will probably pay for a day's time anyway, and he can do the scratch coat and finish coat the same day (unless the room is enormous). He is unlikely to want to skim over your D.I.Y. plasterboard, and the results might show it.
--
Andrew Gabriel