New fangled electric screws...

I have a fan heater, and had the same problem. They are probably Torx types with a central post. I used a Dremel with a cut-off disc to cut a flat-blade screwdriver to an appropriate width, then cut a central slot in the remaining bit of blade. The result was a screwdriver with two 'tines' It worked a treat at getting the screws out.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

Hi

What is with all these new fangled screw heads on modern electrical appliances?? I know the Torx type, but I have a fan heater I want to put a longer cable on and I can't ID the screw head to open it...

I mean for God's sake, we are not all idiots...!

What do I need to get and from where??

Cheers

MArk

**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
Reply to
MG

Your gonna have to give us a clue as to what it looks like if you expect replies!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

But enough are. :~(

IIRC, when this question came up the last time, Maplins etc do sets.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

If he could do that he could ID the type of screw head I suspect and wouldn't be asking here, it's one of those chicken or egg questions really.... :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well, describe it then...! Or post a picture on a website...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yea, but he could try to describe it as best he could couldn't he!

"It has two small holes" "I can screw it in with a flat blade, but the screwdriver just slips the other way" "It looks like a philips, but only has three slots" "It looks like a torx with a post up the middle" "It looks like a hex (alan key) with a post up the middle"

Something like that would be helpful!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

But all the sets I've seen are quite short - I've got a faulty hands-free kit and all the screws are at the bottom of deep holes! If I look properly I'll find a set, I've just not got round to it at the moment....

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

Define sorts of screws... Alternatively, worst case, you can take a small drill on a dremel, and use it to melt out the screws.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Oh I know I can sort it out - I've just got a lot on at the moment ... as usual ;) and haven't got round to it.

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

Order a catalog from

Inside the back cover you will see diagrams of 10 types of screw/bolt heads

Keith G. Powell

Reply to
Keith G. Powell

Are they likely to be Torx screws? I bought a very cheap "security screwdriver set" from Maplins with 20 or more heads. One opened the mains 4-socket box I wanted to lengthen the lead to. However, I found as I had been warned that the connections inside the box were crimped rather than attached as in a 3-pin plug, as I had hoped.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I suppose they're intended to protect lickle chiillllldddrrruuuunn from being electrocuted. You know how inquisitive they can be. Let one loose in a stationary Tube train, and he'll have the floor up in no time, wondering what those bolts are that hold the motor in place...

MM

Reply to
MM

"MM" wrote | I suppose they're intended to protect lickle chiillllldddrrruuuunn | from being electrocuted. You know how inquisitive they can be. Let | one loose in a stationary Tube train, and he'll have the floor up | in no time, wondering what those bolts are that hold the motor in | place...

Mother to child, whilst walking round Stonehenge: "Look but don't touch dear. You might break something."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Aren't stationary Tubes the things you store posters in?

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you only wanted to do this one job then simply extending the cable using a cable connector (10A 3 pin unless appliance is over 2.3kW) will do. [Putting the plug part on the appliance end unlike the howto guide from B&Q!]

But you'll want a neater job and are much aggreived by being locked out. So buy a set of security bits from Screwfix #18983 -one of those will let you in.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"Ed Sirett" wrote | If you only wanted to do this one job then simply extending | the cable using a cable connector (10A 3 pin unless appliance | is over 2.3kW) will do. [Putting the plug part on the appliance | end unlike the howto guide from B&Q!]

Aha! That explains why the 'how to make an extension lead' display above the shelf in my local B&Q is *still* wired wrong. They followed their own how-to guide.

I wonder what the compensation payment would reach if they ended up in court ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No, they're stationery tubes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

...ermmm the problem is that the screw is located down a long moulded recess about 2" or so and the dia of the screw. So a useful picture is out the question and also, I can't see the side profile to explain it in detail... IT IS NOT A STANDARD 'star' TORX though, I can emphatically say that.

I thought there would be similar screws being used universally...?

Thanks for the comments though.

MG

**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!
Reply to
MG

Delta Star head screws are becoming the norm' on the continent with electrical equipment. Instead of a standard four pointed star head, these have only three points. Have a web search for "security bits" and these should contain something that will do these screws.

Reply to
BigWallop