New boiler

Last I heard, Vaillant and Worcester Bosch are the two boilers of choice. Is that still the case?

It's just a combi for a two-bedroom bungalow, btw.

Reply to
GB

My Vaillant "system" has been faultless; I personally hate combis, but I have a large, old house.

Reply to
newshound

I've been generally pleased with my Viessmann. It's in general beautifully made - looks like to last, rather than save pennies.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We have a Vaillant.

Never again.

Reply to
gareth

I've heard WBs are now quite unreliable

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Ideal are doing a 7 year warranty this year, and being as they are one of the simpler, and affordable, boilers out there, I'd be gettng one if in the market now.

Reply to
A.Lee

We had an Ideal. Never again. ;-)

The problem is that "past performance is no indicator of future reliability".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Quite - had a Potterton made in the '70s. One of the better makes. Spool on to when they got taken over. Made one of the worst ones ever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The last time I had anything to do with Ideal we ended up settling out of court (but it got close).

~8 years ago. I will never, ever will deal with that company again.

Reply to
WeeBob

No experience of combis, but we had an LPG-fuelled Vaillant installed

15 years ago, annually serviced, and no problems with it over that period.

But I guess from other comments here that you will get good and bad with every make. It's probably the few people with bad experiences who feel most aggrieved and shout loudest, but the majority who are satisfied never comment.

Combis in general are regarded by some as spawn of the devil.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The Intergas products seem to have a lot going for them and should be on everyone's shortlist, IMHO.

Andy Wade

I have had 3 WB combi boilers in 2 properties over 25 years. The middle one - a 36CDI (or whatever) went wrong twice over 15 years but otherwise was v good and only replaced because of building works exactly in its location. The lastest one is quieter and I think from last winters bills has halved m y gas consumption. The make of combi is only part of the solution. Combis m ake hot water simple but the central heating system should be examined - be sure you know exactly how it will work, especially as it heats up each rad iator and returns water to the boiler. New boilers expect new systems....

Reply to
Ernest Clark