New bathroom - now get chugging sound intermitently

Hello there,

Hope someone can. I have just had a new bathroom fitted (almost complete actually - plumber comes back Tuesday).

However, since it has been fitted, every now and then (about 4 times today so far) I get this chugging sound from the bathroom. It lasts between 1 and

5 minutes. It sounds a bit like if you take your face cheek and pull it on and out, only a lot louder. I was not worried the first time, but as it keeps happening, I'm starting to get worried.

The actual first time it happened the plumber was here, but he ignored it.

Now the plumber did reroute the radiator pipes and the actual tower radiator is yet to go on (isolators have been put on where the towel radiator will go). For this I believe he did initially drain the boiler and refill it. I checked the pressure and it seems fine. Also radiators appear to be working fine.

Also about 4 months ago I had a new Valiant boiler fitted.

So with all that information, can anyone tell me what it might be? Is there anything I should do now? The more information I get now, the more I can inform the plumber when he arrives back in case we need to fix things (and hopefully not remove any tiles from my lovely newly tiled bath)

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
David Smithz

I'm tempted to ask if you have a teenage son home for the school hols ..

lol

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Damn you beat me to it! If it ain't the father, definitely the son!

Reply to
SantaUK

Potty training?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

"Mike Halmarack" >

Errrr, OK. Call me an amateur, but can I take from the response that this is nothing to worry about? Please give me some advice.

Thanks.

Reply to
David Smithz

If you're really worried, call the man who's doing the job, he's likely to respond in a responsible manner, especially if he thinks it's serious. My guess is that it's some air in the pipes but I'm not a heating engineer.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Unfortunately he's on holiday for the Easter weekend, but hopefully it is just air, but if anyone else has any advice it would still be appreciated.

Kind regards

Reply to
David Smithz

Could be one of the waste pipes trying to draw air via one of the waste traps. Putting too much fall (gradient) on a waste pipe will cause this but only when the waste is discharging. Does the sound happen when any other appliance is discharging to waste?

Reply to
Bookworm

Sounds to me like

SANIFLO!!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not particularly or at least not to my knowledge. Not sure of the combi boiler is doing anything. When it was happening the other day it happened about four times when I was the only one in the flat working at my computer. No Dishwasher or Washing machine on, but maybe the radiator.

I am on the top floor of a three story flat with a shared waste pipe of that would make any difference.

Thanks

Reply to
David Smithz

That could be it. I assume by 'shared waste pipe' you mean a shared soil pipe.

Somedody in another flat could be discharging an appliance and it could be trying to 'pull a trap' in your new bathroom. i.e. causing a vacuum.

If it is bothering you get the plumber to fit 'anti-vac' traps to your appliances.

Reply to
Bookworm

then it may be your neighbours plumbing. Either changes to your plumbing have made the noise more obvious (by changing sound proofing?), you have changed the flow/vent characteristics, or it's all down to the neighbours.

Reply to
DJC

whilst I do have a concealed cistern, isn't Saniflo that thing where the waste goes into some liquid that has to be emptied?

Reply to
David Smithz

"Bookworm" wrote

Yes, I think I do mean the soil pipe because I remember the boiler man saying I have a cast iron Stack pipe (which is the same thing as the soil pipe right?

Anyway, bit annoying if I have to fit different things, but I will bring it all up with the plumber on Tuesday. As it happens I have not noticed it occurring over the last 36 hours, but then again, the people are below (I'm on top floor remember) are probably away over Easter or something.

Thanks for the advice and feel free to give me anymore so I am armed with as much info as possible when the plumber comes back to finish on Tuesday.

Reply to
David Smithz

No. its the infamous shit pump, that operates to empty the toilet when a cowboy builder has installed a bog where nature never would..

A float valve causes the pump to whir and chug and then the first time you drop a razor blade down the loo, or a teabag, the motor burns out.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Funny thing to use a loo for. I dont use the loo for making tea but it takes all sorts.

Reply to
Bookworm