Nearly rid of this carbuncle

was the original location of stored water in my 1930's semi, increasingly at a jaunty angle over the years, hovering in the stairwell. Now its imminent departure is close at hand, as I've removed all but what keeps it there. New combi is in and just needs commsioning then it can go, and a lighter airier landing can be enjoyed. I'd love to get a bit of handrail with the same profile and patina as the rest but that's going to be hard.

Reply to
VisionSet

Well, at least maintenance access is easy :-)

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

The message from "VisionSet" contains these words:

A nice set of glass shelves would be nice - provided you don't mind the dusting.

Reply to
Guy King

cripes, I thought I'd seen some bodges in my time that's a real doozer

presumable there was some cupboarding concealing it ?

Reply to
.

Can't see the detail well enough, but it looks similar to my handrail, which is a Richard Burbidge one. I constructed a banister and handrail just like yours (including the part going down the stairs). I made it all from planed timber, except the handrail for which I used a Richard Burbidge one which was intended for use with their kits.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I wouldn't say it was a bodge. The location is original as the storage place for water from a solid fuel back boiler in 1930-? The current plumbing is pretty typical for the 1970's replacement. What you can't see is the drooping joist stubs tacked on to the staircase bearer, which is just the passage of time and the lack of a span. Still be glad to be rid of it, and I suspect the house will smile again.

-- Mike W

Reply to
VisionSet