Nail Gun on Construction Grade OSB?

I need to put down a wooden floor over construction grade OSB. I have read that the nails will not hold over time (unlike plywood) resulting in a squeaky floor. Someone said you can use nails from a gun that have a barbed effect on them which will hold. Can anyone confirm/deny this ? (OSB is 18mm, boards are 20mm with joists 600mm apart)

Reply to
macson

I doubt it. You're not going to get a decent fixing if you're only going 3/4" into board anyway.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Longer nails into the joists?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

A TV program that I saw recently (Canadian, admittedly) suggested that the subfloor should be 1 1/2 inches thick to nail too, and the subfloor should be screwed to the joist, not nailed. 18mm is just under 3/4 inch, so it seems a bit thin to me. Mind you, I am only reporting on a TV show (Holmes on Homes) and not from experience.

It seems to me that if the joists are of adequate size, then a barbed nail driven into the joist through the OSB should hold. The problem is that, as a weak floor flexes, ordinary nails will tend to 'walk out' - so the issue is the solidity of the joist/OSB combo, and the kind of traffic it will bear.

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing