Moving frogs

We shall be moving soon, and SWMBO wants to take the frogs and newts with us as the female half of the couple buying this house doesn't like them* (I'm not telling her what will happen to the hostas once the slugs take over again).

The pond is a preformed plastic one, less than 100 x 75 cm, and roughly triangular. Is it feasible to lift it up and take it with us (partially drained and covered) or can the various amphibians be captured and transported in some way? If they are moved without the existing pond and water then any environment they go into will consist of fresh tap water, which might not be good for them.

*SWMBO said "Why do so many women not like frogs? There's nothing wrong with frogs". My response of "Same as some women with mice and spiders" was not appreciated.
Reply to
Peter Twydell

I asked SWMBO (who is a zoologist) about this.

Her first question was whether or not they have bred in or around the pond.. Both tend to have their territories, and this is a pretty small pond for newts to breed. It's more likely that they are breeding somewhere else and coming to your pond.

Frog spawn is obviously easier to see. whereas most newts lay eggs singly. If you see any sign of newt breeding it is likely to be the efts but they are not often spotted.

The best solution would be to figure out where they have come from such as a larger pond in the area, capture as many as you can and put them there.

If you are moving a long way from the area, you can attempt to take some with you - if you are lucky, they may decide to breed. More often than not, though, they will take off in an attempt to find their old territory.

The effective way to establish a new environment is to wait and do so with spawn - reasonably easy with frogs.

If it's a case of do or die, in the sense that the new people will rip out the pond, then you can have an attempt at moving the whole lot. You can net the amphibians and put them into suitable containers where they can keep wet but have an area out of water as well. I wouldn't try moving the whole pond with water in it or using it as a transport because it will be too weak and you have no way to contain the contents.

You can prepare tap water to the extent of removing the chlorine by adding a dechlorinator liquid that can be obtained from pond places and letting it stand. However, even this shouldn't be the only water used.

Another thing that you can do is to contact your local wildlife organisation and ask for their help. Some newts are protected species.

Don't expect a lot of success in transporting the animals though. Unfortunately,this is trying to over-ride their natural behaviour and does not stand a high chance of success.

A better solution would be to establish a pond at your new place as a priority and put water in it and leave for a couple of weeks, then have an arrangement with the people in your existing place to go back and collect some of the contents of the pond. Even that, unfortunately may not be hugely successful.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Andy Hall writes

Thanks for the input, Andy.

The newts (we don't know which species) are breeding in the pond, but the two frogs, which are a fair size now, appear not to be. We don't know if they were bred here, they just appeared. There were once four of them.

Bad news just in: the buyer 3 links down the chain has just pulled out. Anybody want a 1972 3-bed terraced house, GCH, DG, with extension, etc., etc., in South Herts? Close to M1/M25/M10 and lines to Euston and King's Cross? Complete with resident wildlife, but only outside the house AFAIK.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Really? This is very unusual, especially in a small pond... Have you seen the eggs (typically single ones under leaves), or the hatchlings (efts), or just increasing numbers?

It could be that they are breeding elsewhere and just visiting, or that the spawn is being eaten (unlikely because there is usually so much).

That's a blow. Still, it gives you more time to plan your ark operation.

It would definitely be worth contacting your local wildlife trust organisation

Start with

There's a Herts and Middlesex one.

Try to find out the newt species because many are becoming quite rare. There may be some specific thing that can be done.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Andy Hall writes

We're pretty sure they're the efts. Haven't looked under leaves for eggs.

Never seen any spawn, the remaining adults just seem to be growing.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Peter Twydell