Moving Exisitng Gas Meter : Advice Sought

Hi,

How feasible would it be to get a gas meter moved? My current gas meter is on the side of the house. This is the only position that I could erect a garage. There is also the flue for the gas boiler above the meter.

1) Could I build the garage around the meter? I'm guessing probably not.

2) Would it be a very expensive job to get the meter moved round to the front/back of the house?

3) I imagine having the flue rerouted wouldn't be a major headache. Is this the case?

Diagram:

back of houses

+=====+=====+ | | |G G | | |M G +=====+=====+G G

front of houses

M = Gas meter. G = Where garage would go.

The right hand house is my house.

TIA.

Reply to
Organoman

No reason why not, but the flue is a different matter.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

This might actually be possible, although they do prefer them outdoors so they can read them easier.

Probably.

Depends on the boiler and availability of parts. What is the make and model? Is it open flued, balanced or fanned?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's an old Apollo boiler, as described a few threads earlier. I've no idea whether it's open or balanced, and I'm fairly sure it's not fanned.

Reply to
Organoman

The message from Organoman contains these words:

Can't see why not.

Not always - you may be able to have a vertical flue from the old terminal to one of the garage roof.

Reply to
Guy King

My gas meter is /in/ the garage. If regulations haven't changed since the 70s then no problem.

Reply to
<me9

The current rules, at least in my area, are that meters should be outside, to reduce the risk of gas explosions.

The only people who can tell you that would be your gas supplier. The site would need to be surveyed and the job priced on that. I would guess it would cost a few hundred pounds.

If you can find the installation instructions, which may be online or in the manufacturer's literature if you don't have the originals, those will show what layouts are permitted. Data sheets I have vary from 6m maximum flue length to 27m, depending upon things like the boiler make and type, whether the flue is horizontal or vertical, the flue diameter and whether or not a powered flue is used. There are also limitations on the position of the flue outlet relative to other building components, such as corners, windows etc.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar