Mortar storage

Hi all. Can a dry mortar mix (B&Q ready mix sand & cement) be stored for a period of time if its kept dry?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

I believe they now have a limited shelf life, around 4 to 6 months IIRC.

Reply to
Googlebot

Packed on/Use by date stamps on bags of portland cement I have, work out at a "use within 2 months" from the date of packing.

Reply to
dom

The cement slowly sets by itself as it absorbs moisture from the air, making it rather more lumpy than powdery. You can still use it, but the cement remaining usable becomes less and less, so the mixture effectively gets weaker the longer you store it. I have used some which was up to 5 years old (was well sealed up) and it worked OK, but I expect the resulting mortar was significantly weaker, although that didn't matter in this case.

Actually, I haven't seen dry mortar mix for many years. I used to buy the odd bag from Wickes, but more recently it has been supplied as a bag of wet sand with a sealed sachet of cement in it, which is completely pointless AFAICS.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective. Water is a very cheap additive and certainly adds to the profit. :-)

Reply to
Roger

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com" contains these words:

Apparently the shelf life has shortened of late because of the removal of chromium salts which caused skin problems.

Reply to
Guy King

I got a (larger than intended) bag from B&Q a fortnight ago, ready mixed (except for the water!) I carried it out of the shop and dumped it in a trolly. It was partly empty when I got to the car, I'd split the bag putting it in the trolley. I still had more than enough. I wonder if the trail across the car park is permanent?

Reply to
<me9

So it was you! It was 2 days before I thought to undo my shoelace and pull my foot out.

Arthur

Reply to
51