Methods of cooling a room

a/c
You have that wrong. "only 29.6 yesterday and still a freezing 21 indoors". All the country is having fun outside and these people are stuck inside. How sad!

IMM wrote:

Aha! - I think I now understand:
IMM must actually be some type of reptile... hence the 21c most of us humans find pleasant, he will find "freezing". Presumably he needs to crawl out from under his stone onto a hot rock for a few hours each morning before being able to function well enough to post to Usenet.
- this could explain allot! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

Baxter Basics wrote:

I think the point I was making is that the amount of re-radiation you get from a (relatively) cool tile is very very low compared to that from direct sunlight. Most of the heat transfer to the air in the loft will be via convection and some by conduction. (i.e. the same principle as the incorrectly named "radiators" in your central heating).
--
Cheers,

John.

Baxter Basics wrote:

During the day am running a fan temporarily mounted in place of the vent in one eave end of the roof. Temperatures have been what are considered, here, hot. That is 75+ Fahrenheit but we do find high humidity worse than the temperature.
The fan keeps the attic roof space at the same temperature as the air; without it the heat build up due to the sun shining on the built up pitch and gravel over tongue and groove lumber on trusses is very high, probably plus 20-25 deg. F. And our roof has plenty of vents all round the soffits and at the two ends! It's now dark the air temperature is lower and I'm still running the fan to remove any residual heat in the roof structure, I'll turn it off when we go to bed. Our ceilings are well insulated but even so cooling the roof space/attic does seem to make the house cooler.
Anyway the fan seems to help a lot.

It's not such a sophisticated solution, but I wouldn't be without my 3KW fan heater, which also has a cool setting. It has the great benefit that it can be moved from room to room. Over the last couple of days the cool setting has been bliss, since I can focus the moving air exactly where I want. It may not technically cool the room, but it feels as if it does, and that's what matters.
I primarily keep it in case the central heating ever breaks down, just as I keep a few candles and matches in case of a power cut. But it's also useful for quick spot heating, and as a very fast hairdryer in an emergency. Although I've never tried it, I imagine it could also be used as a quick fabric drier - you know, if you need to rinse spaghetti sauce off of your favourite party frock without getting changed in the middle of your dinner party!
In other words, it can be of use all year round and for several purposes - far more sensible than blowing a fortune, I think, during a once-in-several-years heatwave.
Barbara

It's not "once in several years". The temperature and or humidity gets way to high every year for a good three months. Why bother with the central heating? After all, mostly you don't need it. I mean, just for December, Jan, Feb, it's hardly worth it, eh?

purposes -

It is easy to keep cool, but not keep warm. Most people like hot weather, that is why we all flock to the Med each year.

Wrong.
Wrong.
Wrong.

Never knew how tall she was before....!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

She's probably cooler at that lower altitude, which must be nice for her, but I had no idea she tapered off like that! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Short, yes, wide, yes, Tyke, yes.

Short, wide & small!? Sounds intriguing ....!
You're also a yes/no gal it would seem ;o)

Did I say small?

Yes. But not a gal.
And the answer's no.
:-)
Mary

And not at all confusing ;P
I took the tyke reference to infer small, but I guess it depends where you come from ... doesn't it mean child in most cases? Is there some Black Country meaning I've missed?? ;)
If not a gal ... a woman or a lady I wonder ....??
wrote in message

Yes it does. I thought everyone knew a Yorkshireman (causing more confusion) was a Tyke!

Some authorities suggest that "tyke" (lower case) is a naughty or scruffy child. Not the same thing at all as a Tyke, fully capitalised.

I have nothing to do with the Black Country ... it's not personal, just a matter of geography.

Well, "gal" suggests someone young. I'm not young. A woman definitely. I have no title - except Mistress (normally shortened to Mrs but in the line I'm in I'm usually known as Mistress.
"Miss" is also short for Mistress but I'm properly married and have the fading monochrome photographs to prove it.
Mary

Soho isn't in Yorkshire ...
And I'm a kept woman, don't work.
Much.
Mary

Just as well we understand each other so well ... ;)

Just because of the heat? I thought it was a lot more bearable last night. Still have the ceiling fan on full in the bedroom and windows open wide mind you. Actually pulled a sheet over me in the early hours for the first time in a couple of weeks!

way
You can't be right mate! It's easy to get warm and keep warm in almost any situation, it's nigh on impossible to keep cool and continue with everyday activities in recent weeks. As for the Med, help yourself to the misery if that's what you like, I shall be in Scotland or further north in the next heatwave.

central
December,
weather,
any
if
You obviously have a compliant. Have seen a doctor?

gets
everyday
next
A compliant what? ;)