Meter Tails - What size?

I need to replace my meter tails! (See my previous post "Playing with meter tails" if you are wondering why!)

My question is, what size do I need for 100A?

The sizes available from cpc.co.uk are..

Size/mm Stranding No./mm Nom. OD/mm

1.00 1/1.13 4.1 1.50 1/1.38 4.5 2.50 1/1.78 5.1 6.00 7/1.04 6.7 10.0 7/1.35 8.0 16.0 7/1.70 9.1 25.0 7/2.14 11.2 35.0 19/1.53 12.4

I seem to recall seeing someone talking about 25mm!

Thanks!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

The TLC catalog specs 25mm at 97amps. 32mm at 119amps. I'm pretty certain 25mm is what gets used for 100A though. 35mm will be a joy to bend and get into the CU!

Reply to
Rob

Thanks! - I will order some 25MM then!

I just spoke to Seeboard, to ask them about me pulling my fuse, and they told me I need to call someone called PowerConnect on 01622 352 128

Seems the shut at 17:00 - so I will call them in the morning!

Just in case anyone was interested!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

I asked the local leccy board for a 100A incomer rather than the 80A we now have (just a main fuse change). They specified 25mm.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I am....I'm in the Seeboard area! VERY interested to hear how you get on....

Reply to
Bob Eager

I will let the group know tomorrow!

Reply to
Sparks

Just wondering...

Did they do it for you?

Did they charge you? (wouldn't of thought so, as you can then use more power!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

">

I just did a new build and when I went back to connect up to the incoming supply (when it finally arrived) there were stickers stating 25mm cable is needed on the meter.

So what about your earth? You will need 16mm.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , Sparks writes

As a side track to the thread, what about older installations with

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Not yet...I have a bit to finish before I'm ready.

They didn't say they would...

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you mean the earth 'with the tails' - done that. The actual earth is PME and they've done that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Just ask the leccy board to fit an isolator (free in our area - ex- manweb) and maybe a cutout change / fuse upgrade (if it`s an old iron clad with porcelain fuses).

Reply to
Colin Wilson

You might need to ensure your main equipotential bonding is up to scratch, particularly if you've moved to TN-C-S.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ask for an upgrade. 40A is well low. Then have the 25mm tails ready for them to connect up. Ensure your earthing and consumer unit is up to scratch. (i.e. says 100A maximum).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well I called them, and then got transfer to "Network Services East"

Spoke to someone and explained I would like to pull the main fuse, do some work on my CU replace the fuse, and then have someone come and replace the seal.

The woman I spoke to then transferred me to someone else (with a clue!) and after explaining it all again, steered me in the direction of just doing it (but it didn't come from him!)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Thanks...in fact they did that a while ago and I completely overhauled the E-P bonding then....not to mention bonding the water and gas for the first time!

(the house is double fronted; gas one side at the front, electricity comes in other side at front; water at centre rear!) I can see why they avoided doing it....

Reply to
Bob Eager

I had a couple of electricians quote me for replacing the fuseboards with a consumer unit, one said the earth wire would have to be upgraded with

10mm, the other 16mm, I didn't pursue it at the time but now I'm left wondering whether one was going to leave the existing 60A tails alone whilst the other was going to upgrade them to 25mm. However, I did think that the main earth bond had to be 16mm, and at least 10mm to the water and gas pipes. Am I correct in this assumption?

Ross

Reply to
r.galvin

"r.galvin ntlworld.com>" > I just did a new build and when I went back to connect up to the incoming

For a 100Amp TN supply you are correct.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Just to keep you updated, I finally recieved a reply to an email I sent them a while ago....

Reply to
Sparks

Wow. That's the first time I've heard that they would bother with this. Probably because you asked for it in writing and they don't want a paper trail leading to them telling you to do it on the sly.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle