Meter Tails - What size?

Page 1 of 2
I need to replace my meter tails! (See my previous post "Playing with meter tails" if you are wondering why!)
My question is, what size do I need for 100A?
The sizes available from cpc.co.uk are..
Size/mm Stranding No./mm Nom. OD/mm 1.00 1/1.13 4.1 1.50 1/1.38 4.5 2.50 1/1.78 5.1 6.00 7/1.04 6.7 10.0 7/1.35 8.0 16.0 7/1.70 9.1 25.0 7/2.14 11.2 35.0 19/1.53 12.4
I seem to recall seeing someone talking about 25mm!
Thanks!
Sparks...
Sparks wrote:

The TLC catalog specs 25mm at 97amps. 32mm at 119amps. I'm pretty certain 25mm is what gets used for 100A though. 35mm will be a joy to bend and get into the CU!

Thanks! - I will order some 25MM then!
I just spoke to Seeboard, to ask them about me pulling my fuse, and they told me I need to call someone called PowerConnect on 01622 352 128
Seems the shut at 17:00 - so I will call them in the morning!
Just in case anyone was interested!
Sparks...

I am....I'm in the Seeboard area! VERY interested to hear how you get on....
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I will let the group know tomorrow!

Well I called them, and then got transfer to "Network Services East"
Spoke to someone and explained I would like to pull the main fuse, do some work on my CU replace the fuse, and then have someone come and replace the seal.
The woman I spoke to then transferred me to someone else (with a clue!) and after explaining it all again, steered me in the direction of just doing it (but it didn't come from him!)
Sparks...

and
it
Just to keep you updated, I finally recieved a reply to an email I sent them a while ago....
--
Thank you for your enquiry via our web site. I apologise for the delay in
replying. The seals on the main fuse should not be broken. You can arrange

Wow. That's the first time I've heard that they would bother with this. Probably because you asked for it in writing and they don't want a paper trail leading to them telling you to do it on the sly.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

OTOH if you break the seals and pull the plug, all that happens is the nmeter reader makes a note and fits a new one.

Or the relevant Revenue Protection mob might make an unannounced visit...

I asked the local leccy board for a 100A incomer rather than the 80A we now have (just a main fuse change). They specified 25mm.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Just wondering...
Did they do it for you?
Did they charge you? (wouldn't of thought so, as you can then use more power!
Sparks...

Not yet...I have a bit to finish before I'm ready.

They didn't say they would...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
">

I just did a new build and when I went back to connect up to the incoming supply (when it finally arrived) there were stickers stating 25mm cable is needed on the meter.
So what about your earth? You will need 16mm.
Adam
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:51:34 UTC, "ARWadsworth"
If you mean the earth 'with the tails' - done that. The actual earth is PME and they've done that.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

You might need to ensure your main equipotential bonding is up to scratch, particularly if you've moved to TN-C-S.
Christian.
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:56:46 UTC, "Christian McArdle"

Thanks...in fact they did that a while ago and I completely overhauled the E-P bonding then....not to mention bonding the water and gas for the first time!
(the house is double fronted; gas one side at the front, electricity comes in other side at front; water at centre rear!) I can see why they avoided doing it....
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I had a couple of electricians quote me for replacing the fuseboards with a consumer unit, one said the earth wire would have to be upgraded with 10mm, the other 16mm, I didn't pursue it at the time but now I'm left wondering whether one was going to leave the existing 60A tails alone whilst the other was going to upgrade them to 25mm. However, I did think that the main earth bond had to be 16mm, and at least 10mm to the water and gas pipes. Am I correct in this assumption?
Ross

incoming
is
10mm to

For a 100Amp TN supply you are correct.
Adam

As a side track to the thread, what about older installations with <100A supplies / Meters? I've just checked the OSG, and as expected there's a blanket 25mm^2 requirement. Can't find any reference to meter tails in the full regs (only a brief look), though "adequately rated" is no doubt the appropriate phrase.
Anyway, to the point. I'll be fitting a new CU soon, and the tails at the moment are 10mm^2 on a 40A meter. If I just re-use these (saves breaking the meter seal), would I be complying with the 16th Ed? After all, 10mm^2 is adequate for the 40A supply. Or is there some overriding clause I've missed that states 25mm^2 minumum?
--
Steven Briggs