metal web joists

No, of course its no accident. Its a pragmatic compromiose between simplicity and other prperties like witgh, stuffness, etc etc.

Exactly. Its a compromise to fabricate a general purpose element.

Elements in compression must be below Euler limits in length, or they will buckle before they actually crush:

For any specific function, you can do much better though, if you are prepared to fabricate more complex shapes than a simply rolled I beam..

Try examining the structure of an aircraft wing, to see how MUCH material can be extracted from an I beam like element without compromising its strength and stiffness.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not at all.

Trusses carry very heavy loads. Over any span.

They are no more than I beams with the low or zero stress bits replaced with fresh air, ultimately.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, Brunel's Tamar bridge, the top part of the truss carrying the load and that all in compression. Simply supported, like a beam so no sideways force on the pillars and it looks the part and it's got his name on - perfick!

Reply to
Bob Mannix