Manky HW cylinder

As part of "Operation sort out the screw ups", aka correcting what the people who were in before me did, and a general renovation, the immersion cylinder has been removed.
It's currently propped over the bath, having been left to drain out the last of the muck. After draining, via the, painted over, drain cock, I poured what was left in to the bath. Urgh! Yellow and very cloudy, nice. Along with some nice lumps of blue/green stuff, which I assume is limescale.
So, questions, how to remove this manky muck? Stop up the bottom hole and fill with water and descaler, leave, drain and flush?
Any better suggestions, a new tank is 100ukp from Screwfix, so that is an option.
--
MattG
GATSOs - Toy with them, then destroy them
Owain wrote:

Well, the old one is insulated, but it's "value foam" insulation, so I don't know how effective it is.
Still, moot point now. I just tried to undo the immersion element, having taken note of the rust and crap I gave it a good douse in penetrating oil. This hasn't had the effect I was hoping for, trying to undo it has resulted in twisting the bloody thing and bending the top of the tank. So a new one it is.
Just to make sure...
This http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?tsP397&id 267 is what I plan on ordering. This is the one where the hot water from the boiler passes through a coil inside the tank right? Indirect heating?
And what sort of fitting goes into the top?
Ta
--
MattG
GATSOs - Toy with them, then destroy them
MattG wrote:

The indirect coil inside is all probably furred up anyway..

This normally happens ...

Yes.
The big hole is for the immersion heater. You'll probably need a new one of those too. The smaller hole is where the hot water comes out! There's an identical one at the bottom where the water goes in. You need couplings that will convert from the BSP thread there to your current pipework. These should have been on your current cylinder ...
BillR wrote:

<of immersion tanks>

I did wonder about that.

Now you tell me :-)

Yep.
Sorted with those.

Heh, they are but they are somewhat green/brown/nasty coloured. I shall order a few tank connectors.
TYVM
--
MattG
GATSOs - Toy with them, then destroy them

of
Incidentally, are the tank fitting positions standard? ie. can you just swap in a new cylinder without having to do any work on the pipes etc?
David Hearn wrote: <new cylinder>

Heh. They appear to be the same, but that won't help.
Being an analy retentive pedantic type, I've removed all the pipes and the ceiling! The way things had been set up was an utter mess, bodgery at it's worst (or best, IYSWIM).
Anyway, full replacement of all heating type things is underway.