Making a mandolin - advice?

I fancy making an octave mandolin (octave mandola?) - has anyone here done it? can anyone point me at more info, or anyone that offers courses?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

That Captain Corelli bloke apparently knows a bit about them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I could put you in contact with a friend who is involved in making instruments of that type if you are interested - he might be able to give you advise.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

In message , NoSpam writes

Flatback, or err ... the other style (pear shaped) ?

Reply to
geoff

Rob G wrote: ... snipped

Thanks, I've sent you an email.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Flatback. I'm learning to play a cheapo mandolin and fancy something with a bit more "body" to the sound. Buying a half-decent one is going to be £750-1000+ so I'd like to use my woodworking and engineering skills to good effect.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Here is a source for your timber:

mark

Basswood may be your friend..light and a nice tone.

google bass and wood and mandolin.

I've made electric guitars..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks! I hadn't found them. All I need now is a link to someone who can teach me how to design and make ;-) (I've just found a link to a couple of yahoo groups that look promising)

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Haven't we all ...

however, acoustic instruments are a tad more difficult

Reply to
geoff

WEll the necks are similar apart from the need for a truss rood, which is not employed in most acoustic instruments..

The body, is basically just a soundbox..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's probably additional knowledgable people at uk.music.folk and rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic (a number of luthiers post in rmmga).

You could also look at some of the mandolin related web sites, such as

Reply to
Mark Bluemel

I have this book:

The making of Stringed Instruments - A Workshop Guide George Buchanan B.T.Batsford Ltd., London=20 ISBN 0 7134 8140 4

It's got plans for a Mandolin and Mandola (as well as viledin, git-tar etc...) Google for the ISBN number. lots of them about =C2=A315. I found it very good, but can't admit to have made anything from it (yet).

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

This one caught my eye:

"ORGANS BASSWOOD for valves, EBONY for keys, and WELLINGTONIA for pipes"

Wellingtonia of course being another name for the giant Redwood, which typically tops 50m.

Just how big _are_ those pipes???

BTW I wouldn't even try building any instrument involving a soundbox. Far too hard.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The wood should be matched (L & R), the body has to be formed, the sound is very dependent on the thickness and density of the wood

etc etc

A lot more work to get right than making the body for an electric guitar

... as long as you aspire to build something better than an Eko Ranger, that is

Reply to
geoff

Its not hard to make: Its hard to get a good SOUND tho :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When I looked for that one on Amazon I got seduced by a couple of others: "Luthier's Handbook: Guide to Building Great Tone in Acoustic Stringed Instruments", "Art of Tap Tuning: How to Build Great Sound into Instruments", and "The Mandolin Manual: The Art, Craft and Science of the Mandolin and Mandola" - many happy hours of reading and procrastination ;-)

Reply to
NoSpam