Lubricating cables!?

On 2014-11-28, Nightjar

Reply to
Huge

Cheese and onion anyone?

ARW

No, it is mineral oil based

Petroleum products are more likely to interact chemically with the insulation, they will *probably* not do any harm, but it is more of a risk than with silicone. Also they are inflammable.

Reply to
newshound

It is not suitable use with for the £100 vibrator I have bought the gf for Christmas. It's supposed to have a 10 year warranty and has PowerBullet technology.

Reply to
ARW

Interestingly, this is *not* silicone. I rather suspect it is something like KY Jelly with a fungicide; it will eventually dry out. I certainly would not have any concerns over compatibility with a proper cable lubricating product like this.

Reply to
newshound

Sprays like this just produce a mist; toolstation has something similar. The only downside is that they disperse a bit quickly. OTOH the silicone fluid sold by Wickes etc for lubricating gutters, pushfit waste fittings, etc is more persistant (but relatively expensive). A lot depends on how quickly you will be able to finish the job.

Reply to
newshound

So basically a present *you* get to play with ;-)

Reply to
Tim Watts

We both get to play with it and she can play with it when am not with her.

I could have bought a 14 way RCBO CU for less that it cost me at Pulse and Cocktails last week.

Reply to
ARW

On 28 Nov 2014, "Dave Liquorice" grunted:

Thanks for that one, Dave - I staggered them each by about 8" and it just did the trick perfectly (and lube-free!) :)

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Lobster writes

I had to poke some coax through a tight hole. and Boots Moisturising Cream worked fine.

What about Savlon? When replacing a car water pump on the side of the A1 in Yorkshire, I once used it as a jointing compound (plus a thin cardboard gasket made from a box of tissues).

And has anyone mentioned WD40? I've never found WD40 adversely affect cables in any way whatsoever.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Or you could play with it when she is not with you :-)

Is that with or without the £7 voucher on the website ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Where's the £7 off a CU?

Reply to
dennis

Or you could play with it when she is not with you :-)

Is that with or without the £7 voucher on the website ...

It was buy 3 items get the 4th item free.

Reply to
ARW