'Low Energy' lamps tick

I've got three Low Energy lamps (20 watt models). All of them audibly tick at a rate of about 2Hz when switched off in any ceiling lamp socket in my house.

I've used a DVM (20 Meg ohms) to measure L-N, N-E, L-E voltages and there's only a few mV indicated across any combination. Killing the lighting MCB kills the ticking. Any ideas what's going on ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

I've noticed something similar in one type of LE lamp. After being switched off, it flashes weakly & briefly, once every 30 seconds or so, for about 30 minutes. Haven't heard any noise.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Sounds like its got a tick problem, visit the vet.

OK, its capacitive coupling.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

This will be due to a small leakage current - probably the capacitance between the cores of the cable down to the switch, especially if there is no earth in this cable (if there is an unconnected earth core, connecting it to earth may help). If it's a problem, it should be fixable by connecting a suitably-rated resistor across the lamp. I'd suggest a 470Kohm 1 watt part. Do not use physically smaller parts as they will usually not be rated for 250V operation, and could pose a fire risk.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

In article , Mike Harrison writes

I suggested something similar the last time this came up and someone pointed out that it would result in a fail of an electrical installation (& insulation :-) test. If you go this route I'd put a suitably sleeved res in the ceiling rose and stick a note to the consumer unit detailing the non- standard installation.

Reply to
fred